Saturday, Aug. 24

city politics

Indiana politicians respond to assassination attempt of Trump

caindianatrump071424.jpg

It was during the Indiana Democratic Party’s convention Saturday when news broke that former President Donald Trump had been injured in a now-apparent assassination attempt. 

The near-assasination happened while Trump was speaking at a Pennsylvania rally. One bullet hit his upper ear, just barely missing his head. Other shots struck audience members, killing one and critically injuring two others.

The Secret Service killed the shooter soon after the shots rang out. Trump later returned to his home in New Jersey. 

Indiana politicians have universally condemned the attack, offered prayers and denounced political violence.

The Indiana Capital Chronicle reported the news interrupted the state Democratic convention’s proceedings, drawing numerous condemnations from attendees and party officials. 

“There is no room for violence in our political discourse,” Democratic gubernatorial nominee Jennifer McCormick said at the convention.

Fox59 reported that Destiny Wells, who became the Democratic nominee for attorney general at Saturday’s convention, released a statement condemning the assassination attempt. 

“I condemn the violence at the rally in Pennsylvania today,” the statement read. “Violence is never the answer, and I am thankful that Mr. Trump is unhurt but I am terribly disturbed by the gun violence that plagues our communities every day.”

Incumbent Republican Attorney General Todd Rokita released a lengthy statement on X on Sunday. He wrote without providing evidence that the assassination attempt was “the latest and clearest evidence of the violence that is encouraged by the political left, the media, and the establishment in this nation including in Indiana.”

Reuters reported the shooter was a registered Republican, though he donated $15 to a liberal PAC on Biden’s inauguration day in 2021. 

Republican gubernatorial candidate and current Senator Mike Braun posted on X “Pray for President Trump, his family, and our country,” including a now-viral AP image of Trump raising his fist with blood running across his face. 

Indiana Senator Todd Young said on X that he was praying for all at the “terrifying scene.”

“Praying that he and all in attendance are OK and that calm will prevail,”  he wrote. “Violence is never the answer.”

Mike Pence, Trump’s former vice president and 2024 primary challenger, said he was praying for the former president on X. He later posted a statement condemning the violence, saying “There is no place in America for political violence and it must be universally condemned.”

Republican nominee for Senate and current Congressman Jim Banks said he was “praying for Trump and everyone in Pennsylvania,” posting the same image later on. 

Banks also called Rep. Bennie G. Thompson of Mississippi “evil” on X for introducing a bill this April that would have ended Secret Service protection for convicted felons sent to prison. Thompson’s bill would have transferred security protections to prisons.

Democratic nominee for Senate Valerie McCray said on X she was sad to hear about “Trump being injured at his rally,” including a statement about the issue of gun violence.

“As your next US Senator, I will support common-sense legislation and policies that will protect our youth and make our communities safer,” she wrote.

Other congresspeople from Indiana have also released statements, each condemning the attack. 

Congresswoman Erin Houchin, who represents southeast Indiana and all of Monroe County, posted “God Bless America,” and an American flag emoji on X

State Senator Shelli Yoder, who represents most of Monroe County, wrote on X that she was appalled at Saturday’s violence.

“My heart goes out to those affected, and I join all Americans in rejecting violence and praying for peace,” she wrote.

A spokesperson for state house representative Matt Pierce, who represents Bloomington, has not responded to a request for comment. 

Bloomington Mayor Kerry Thomson said she was horrified about the incident on her Facebook.

“Our democracy depends on free and safe elections,” the statement read. “Two people have died as a result of political violence today, that is unacceptable.”

Trump’s near assassination came just two days before the Republican National Convention, to be held in Milwaukee from Monday to Thursday.