Saturday, Oct. 5

Former Indiana track and field coach Ron Helmer dies at 77

spiuhelmerobit070524.jpg

Former Indiana track and field coach Ron Helmer — who led both the men’s and women’s squads from 2007-22 — passed away Thursday at the age of 77, according to an Indiana Athletics press release Friday. 

Helmer spent 52 years as a track and field coach, including 37 at Georgetown University before accepting the head job at Indiana in 2007, a role he held for 15 years. During his time in Bloomington, Helmer won Big Ten Coach of the Year four times and U.S. Track & Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association Regional Coach of the Year on six occasions. 

The Hoosiers won five Big Ten titles under Helmer’s guidance, while several others took home prestigious solo awards. 

Helmer coached 52 individual Big Ten Champions, six individual NCAA titles, 10 Big Ten Athlete of the Year selections, three Big Ten Freshman of the Year honorees, 407 All-Americans and eight National Champions. 

Helmer retired from coaching after the 2022-23 season. Indiana’s track and field program is now led by Ed Beathea. 

Indiana athletic director Scott Dolson issued a statement following Helmer’s passing, extending condolences to the family on behalf of IU Athletics. 

“Ron was a legend in the track and field coaching community, someone whose success in developing champions on the college, national, and international levels over more than 50 years speaks for itself,” Dolson said in the release. “During his 15 years at Indiana, he not only added significantly to our programs’ history of success, but he was also a leading voice and advocate among our coaching family.” 

Dolson added Helmer left a lasting impact on those he encountered. 

“I know that everyone who had an opportunity to be around Ron — be that a student-athlete, a fellow coach, or a staff member — benefited greatly from that opportunity, myself very much included,” Dolson said in the release. 

The Helmer family will welcome visitors from 4-7 p.m. July 9 at The Funeral Chapel on E. Third Street. Helmer’s funeral takes place at 1 p.m. July 10 at Sherwood Oaks Christian Church, according to the release. 

For those interested in giving flowers, the family requests consideration for donating to Miles for Myeloma, the release said. Send all donations to: IU Simon Comprehensive Cancer Center, c/o IU Foundation P.O. Box 7072 Indianapolis, IN 46207.