Thursday, July 4

sports women's basketball

Mackenzie Holmes to return to Indiana women’s basketball as graduate manager

phiuwbbphotos032524-19.jpg

Indiana Athletics announced in a press release Monday the appointment of all-time Indiana women’s basketball leading scorer Mackenzie Holmes and Lauren Fields as graduate managers for head coach Teri Moren’s women’s squad.

The position will help the current roster with technical work and coaching positions, while also adding veteran experience in practice  Holmes with the bigs and Smith with the guards.

Holmes, the 26th pick in April’s WNBA draft by the Seattle Storm, finished her career with 2,530 points and numerous accolades, including first team All-Big Ten and being the first All-American in Indiana women’s basketball history. Holmes, who underwent knee surgery in May and missed the entire 2024 WNBA season, will join the Storm for training camp in 2025. 

Fields was formerly a guard for Oklahoma State University, the University of Arizona and West Virginia University. She finished her career in 2023-24 at West Virginia after one season at Arizona and three at Oklahoma State before that. Fields appeared in 148 games total in her career and started 129 of those.  

Holmes and Fields join a staff headlined by Moren and assistants Rhet Wierzba, Linda Sayavongchanh and former Hoosier great Ali Patberg. The staff had some other movement with the departure of assitant coach Amber Smith after one season. Smith and Patberg worked with the guards. 

Indiana women’s basketball hasn’t announced an official date for its season opener, though the Hoosiers will likely return to the floor at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in late October to early November.