Saturday, Sept. 7

campus administration

Longtime IU trustee and alumnus James T. Morris dies

cajamesmorris071824.jpg

Longtime IU trustee and alumnus James T. Morris died July 12 at 81 years old, according to an IU press release.  

IU President Pamela Whitten said in the release that Morris was a “quintessential” Hoosier. 

“Jim’s deep love for Indiana University was known far and wide, and he leaves an incomparable legacy as an IU student, parent, benefactor, board chair and trustee of nearly two decades,” Whitten said in the release. “He received countless accolades over his many years of service, and his impact on Indiana University is immeasurable. 

During Morris’ time as an undergraduate at IU he studied political science and was a part of IU Student Government according to the release. Morris was also a 1962 initiate of Beta-Theta chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity at IU. After Morris graduated IU, he completed a Master of Business Administration at Butler University in 1965.  Morris was elected to the Board of Trustees in 1996 and served on and off until 2022.  

Trustee Chair Quinn Buckner wrote on behalf of the IU Board of trustees in the release. Buckner said Jim was a mentor and confidant to him.  

“Through his longtime board leadership, endless generosity and love for his alma mater, Jim made a tremendous impact on the IU community, the people of Indiana and many others across the globe,” Buckner wrote.  

Before and during Morris’ time on the board of trustees he also served as vice chairman of Pacers Sports and Entertainment, chief of staff to Indianapolis Mayor Richard G. Lugar, president of the Lilly Endowment, chairman and CEO for IWC Resources Corp and Indianapolis Water Co. and executive director of the United Nations World Food Programme .   

Pacers Sports and Entertainment Owner Herb Simon wrote in a statement released on the Pacers website that Morris’ life was “consequential.”  

“To his very last day, he was hard at work bringing people together to help those most in need and make our city and our state stronger, more civil, and more united. No one loved Indiana and Indianapolis more than Jim” Simon wrote. 

He received many awards and recognition from IU including: the IU College of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Alumni Award (2005,) the Kelley School of Business Academy of Alumni Fellows (inducted in 2001,) the IUAA Distinguished Alumni Service Award (1991) and the IUPUI Spirit of Philanthropy Award (1995; 2003.)  

Morris received Kappa Sigma man of the year in 2010. Morris also received the IU Bicentennial medal in September 2019 in recognition of his time serving as a member and chair of the Board of Trustees.  

In 2021 Morris received the Sachem Award from Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb and in 2016 he received the Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award from President Barack Obama. 

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb wrote on X that he and his wife Janet will miss Morris every day.  

“Indiana lost a favorite son and true servant leader,” Holcomb wrote. “We all have Jim Morris to thank for being such a relentless positive force and builder of our capital city into the international designation it is today.”