Thursday, Oct. 17

arts community events

Author Kelly Hill will sign new book at Morgenstern’s Bookstore

53942c42-779a-4b8f-8b8e-884fde59ef1d.original.jpg

Kelly Hill, the author of the new book, “A Home for Friendless Women," will visit Morgenstern’s Bookstore for a conversation about her new historical novel, and will be signing copies at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday July 25. Hill will discuss the book with Jessica Hille, who is a gender and sexuality scholar and the Assistant Director for Education at IU’s Kinsey Institute.

“A Home for Friendless Women” is Hill’s first novel.

The novel is set in a 19th century maternity home in Victoria-era Louisville for unmarried pregnant women, who are considered “fallen.” The story follows these women, including an expelled college student named Ruth, a queer sex worker named Belle and Minnie, the home’s founder’s daughter, as they uncover the home’s dark secrets, and a shocking truth is revealed.

Hill earned a Ph.D. from the University of Louisville and an MFA in fiction from Spalding University.

A review from Booklist, a publication of the American Library Association, describes the new novel’s characters’ impression on readers."

“The memorable characters who emerge from the pages leave little doubt in the reader’s mind that while they may be oppressed, they aren’t fools," a Booklist review reads.

“David Dominé, author of “A Dark Room in Glitter Ball City” comments on Hill’s research and writing of her novel.

“With meticulous research and concise writing, Kelly Hill draws us into a world where—as is so often the case—good intentions belie painful shortcomings on both the individual and societal levels,” Dominé writes. “Realized deftly and with an unflinching hand, her character studies entertain and enlighten. A great read on so many levels."