Wednesday, July 3

city bloomington

UPDATED: Monroe County government offices, courts will stay closed Tuesday

news filler.jpg

Monroe County government offices and courts will continue to be closed Tuesday, according to an email from the Monroe County alert system Monday evening.  

Monroe County government offices and courts closed at noon Monday due to a “government wide server outage,” Monroe County Commissioner Penny Githens said. All court sessions for Monday afternoon were canceled.  

Residents were notified about Monday’s closing from a message sent from the Monroe County Emergency Management alert system. 

The county road crews are out working, but the office staff was sent home, and the Monroe County Jail staff and county road deputies reported for work Monday, Githens confirmed over text.  

According to the email, highway workers, the Monroe County Jail staff and county road deputies will continue to operate Tuesday despite the outage. 

The Technical Services Department is currently working on resolving the issue, however there is no timeline of when the server will be working again, Githens said. With the server being down, information needed for the courts to operate cannot be entered or retrieved.  

“I never had something like this that I can recall in over five years I have been here,” Githens said. 

It is currently unclear what caused the outage. 

This is not a common issue, though past server outages have been caused by the weather, she said. 

The commissioners will hold virtual office hours as scheduled, which they can still do from home.  

UPDATED: This story has been updated to include Tuesday’s closure.