Sunday, Sept. 8

OPINION: The incredible institution of the public library

oppubliclibrary071624-illo

As a kid, one of my favorite places in the world was the library. I was an avid reader, and would always come home with my arms piled high with books. Once I entered high school, I would walk the two blocks from my school to the library after classes had finished. My friends and I would study, read and chat — quietly, of course. The library was a peaceful sanctuary, away from the real world and into the literary one. 

Despite the importance of libraries to me, I haven’t seen the same rhetoric from many others. In March, New York City proposed a budget cut of over $58 million for libraries in the 2025 fiscal year, which would reduce programs and reading materials significantly. More libraries are facing money troubles, especially as book banning controversies come to a head. In 2023, the number of titles targeted for censorship increased by 92% from 2022. 

But to me, libraries are essential services. They provide community amenities and accessible knowledge, and they need to be preserved if we intend to maintain our culture. 

But why, one may ask, are libraries so necessary if they just provide books? Isn’t most information available online? 

The simple answer is that libraries do much more than just store books. They offer computer labs, DVDs of shows and movies, study areas, community spaces, newspapers and magazines, classes and events and much more. Libraries aren’t “just books” — they’re a concentrated repository of human knowledge from a variety of sources. 

One of my favorite aspects of libraries are the events and classes. As a kid, I would always end up at workshops during the summer, with topics like stop-motion animation and Minecraft. As we worked to hack together weird clay figures, I made friends — which was tough to do as an only child when school was out. 

Monroe County Public Library also offers events like these. On July 21, they’re hosting a zine-making workshop. They provide a near-daily English-language workshop for non-native speakers and those with learning impairments. There’s a variety of others, with topics like gardening, puppet-making and yoga. These programs aren’t just for fun — they help build and uplift the community.  

Some library systems even offer culture passes, which provide free or reduced tickets for museums, performances and other attractions. All of these are available with just one library card. Talk about bang for your buck. 

Libraries aren’t just physical places, either. Most libraries offer online materials like audiobooks and ebooks through your library card. I love searching around on Libby and finding thousands of novels just one click away. I even used the app to borrow class materials. Kanopy also allows you to stream thousands of films for free through your library. 

But, most importantly for me, libraries are places for community. Libraries offer free internet access and computers, which allow anyone to get online. These computers can be important for filling out job applications and increasing computer literacy. They also have study rooms and meeting areas for anyone to work or study. Anyone, no matter their situation, can connect with the people around them and improve their lives by stepping into a library. 

Libraries are also peaceful, safe places for all people, young and old, to escape from the hardships of everyday life and rest your feet for a few hours. You don’t need to buy something or get a card to be in a library. People who don't have another refuge, due to homelessness or bad home situations or anything else, can simply exist as themselves. 

Libraries are more than just books. They’re community centers and safe havens. They’re a springboard for underprivileged people to improve their lives. They’re information hubs, where anyone can learn anything simply by being a member of the community. 

The public library is an incredible institution. With all the knowledge packed inside, we need to fight to preserve these organizations from the political backlash that threatens them. Libraries have changed my life. I can only hope they’ll stick around for a long time.

Danny William (they/them) is a junior studying cinematic arts.