Saturday, July 6

PRESS RELEASE: City of Bloomington Announces Free On-Street Parking Downtown on Fri. and Sat. Nights in July

city of bloomington.png (correct size)

This press release was written by Desiree DeMolina for City of Bloomington. 

BLOOMINGTON, IND. – The City of Bloomington will offer free on-street parking downtown after 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights throughout July to support local businesses during the summer slowdown.

Starting July 5, residents and visitors can utilize free parking on all metered streets in the downtown area from 5 p.m. onwards on Fridays and Saturdays. This initiative aims to increase foot traffic and patronage of local shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues.

“A downtown Bloomington summer is hard to match with the lively community atmosphere when our city is out enjoying dining and the arts and entertainment,” says Mayor Kerry Thomson. “Yet, it can be challenging for our local businesses. By offering free parking on Friday and Saturday evenings, we hope to make it easier for people to come downtown, explore, and enjoy all that our community and local businesses have to offer.”

In addition, Mayor Thomson will be at various locations around downtown on Fri. July 5 and Sat. July 27 from 5 to 7 p.m. This opportunity offers residents and visitors a chance to meet the Mayor in an informal setting. Participants are invited to take photos with Mayor Thomson, ask questions, learn more about ongoing and upcoming city projects and services, and support downtown together. Residents can follow the City of Bloomington, IN — Office of the Mayor for updates and clues.

For more information about the free parking initiative and other downtown events, please visit the City of Bloomington’s website at www.bloomington.in.gov or contact the City’s Office of Economic and Sustainable Development at esd@bloomington.in.gov or 812-349-3418.