Saturday, July 6

PRESS RELEASE: Parks and Recreation Announces Line up of Events for Fourth of July Weekend

city of bloomington.png (correct size)

This press release was written by Julie Ramey for City of Bloomington. 

Bloomington, Ind.–Most weather forecasts for July 4 call for rain and thunderstorms, but barring truly severe weather, the Fourth of July Parade will take place as planned.

The parade is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. at College Avenue and Tenth Street. From there, 59 different parade entries will travel south on College Avenue, turn east onto Kirkwood Avenue, go one block to Walnut Street and turn north to return to Tenth Street. The parade ends where it began, at the intersection of College Avenue and Tenth Street.

Downtown parking along city streets not reserved for the parade route, and in the city parking garages, is free on the Fourth of July.

A live performance by the Bloomington Community Band is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. on the south side of the Monroe County Courthouse. For up-to-the-minute information about weather-related cancellations, call the Community Events Hotline at 812-349-3754.

Admission to Bryan Park Pool, 1020 S. Woodlawn Ave., and Mills Pool, 1100 W. 14th St., is free July 4 from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m., courtesy of the Bloomington Parks Foundation. Call the Aquatics Hotline at 812-349-3741 to check the open status of Bryan Park Pool, Mills Pool, and the Community Foundation Switchyard Plaza Spray Pad at Switchyard Park, 1601 S. Rogers St., before heading to the pools or spray pad.

Switchyard Park hosts a Hatha-style yoga class outside on the main stage at Switchyard Park July 5 at noon. The class is $10 per person, and is suitable for adults of all abilities and experience levels. Registration is not required, and class fee may be paid with cash or card.

The Bloomington Community Farmers' Market takes place July 6 from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. with local products from farm and field, as well as ready-to-eat food by local small businesses and live music by local performers. Admission to the Market is free! The Market is located at 401 N. Morton St. in Bloomington.

The Fourth of July weekend closes with back-to-back concerts July 7 at Bryan Park, 1001 S. Henderson St. Big Dog (blues, soul and funk) kicks off the evening at 5:30 p.m. and is followed by the rocking blues of the Dicky James Trio with Rex Miller and Steve Mascari. For up-to-the-minute information about weather-related cancellations for the Bryan Park or other Parks and Recreation concerts, call the Community Events Hotline at 812-349-3754.

While City Hall at 401 N. Morton St. will close for the Fourth of July holiday, Parks and Recreation facilities including the Griffy Lake Boathouse, Cascades Golf Course, and the Twin Lakes Recreation Center are open on the holiday. For more information about operating hours, weather-related closings, or other information, contact the facilities directly:

Cascades Golf Course, 3550 N. Kinser Pike, 812-349-3764

Griffy Lake Boathouse (8 a.m.-8 p.m.), 3400 N. Headley Rd., 812-349-3732

Twin Lakes Recreation Center, (7 a.m.-1 p.m.), 1700 W. Bloomfield Rd., 812-349-3720