Tuesday, Oct. 8

campus student life

Summer SRSC renovation underway, on pace for August completion

casrsc070924.jpg

When students return to Bloomington in August, they will find a new look for the Student Recreational Sports Center. 

The SRSC, located at 1601 Law Lane, is undergoing a renovation this summer which includes several functional and aesthetic upgrades. 

“We constantly watch for patterns in member usage and student preferences,” IU Recreational Sports Executive Director Chris Arvin said. “Our goal is to squeeze preferred equipment into every square foot of the building where possible.” 

Renovations started in May and will be completed by mid-August with a new roof over the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center, new flooring and equipment in the main strength gym, conversion of two racquetball courts to strength studios, new lockers and showers, all-gender restrooms, ductwork cleaning, a top-to-bottom repainting, IU branding installations and new decorations. 

Arvin said feedback came from members, students and staff through surveys, focus groups and member comments. 

“In alignment with our partners in the Office of Student Life, Recreational Sports is focused on how to enhance and create a premier and thriving Hoosier student experience,” he said. “RecSports approaches every project with a student-focused lens. We know that additional space and equipment for strength training is especially in demand.” 

This is not the first renovation the SRSC has seen since it opened in 1995. The most recent major renovation was in 2012, in which a basketball gymnasium was converted to the main strength gym. 

The SRSC is still open during the renovations from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. It will be closed from July 27 to Aug. 4, and the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center will be closed from July 27 to Aug. 18. 

Full hours and updates on the renovations can be found on IU Recreational Sports’ website. 

“We hope students will find a space that reflects a sense of IU pride and welcomes students to the SRSC in ways that will help them focus on their well-being,” Arvin said. “We hope to be the most Instragramable place on campus.”