Saturday, Sept. 7

arts iu auditorium

Tenacious D cancels IU show, fall tour following controversial remarks

enttenaciousd072024-jpg

Tenacious D, the acclaimed rock duo consisting of comedians Jack Black and Kyle Gass, has canceled its highly anticipated fall tour, including its scheduled performance at the IU Auditorium. The band, known for its unique blend of humor and rock music, was set to perform Oct. 22 at the IU Auditorium this fall.

It comes after Gass made a joke about the assassination attempt against former President and Republican nominee Donald Trump during a recent show. According to IndyStar, in a video from a July 14 show in Sydney, Australia, Black is seen singing happy birthday to Gass onstage. When Black tells Gass to make a wish, he responded: "Don't miss Trump next time." According to Reuters, the comment quickly drew backlash, leading to widespread criticism and calls for accountability.

In response, Gass released a statement apologizing for the remark.

“What happened was a tragedy, and I'm incredibly sorry for my severe lack of judgement,” Gass said in a separate now-deleted statement posted to his Instagram. “I profoundly apologize to those I've let down and truly regret any pain I've caused.”

Black also released his own statement on Instagram, announcing the tour’s cancellation.

“I was blindsided by what was said at the show on Sunday,” Black said. “I would never condone hate speech or encourage political violence in any form.”

The IU Auditorium, a key venue for major performances in Bloomington, has experienced cancellations before. In May, comedian Matt Rife cancelled his sold-out shows at the IU Auditorium due to a medical emergency. One of the shows was already scheduled to begin when it was cancelled. His last-minute cancellation came after he postponed then rescheduled the shows in February.

Fans and community members have shared mixed reactions, and the incident has sparked broader conversations online about the responsibilities of public figures.

For more information on future events and updates from the IU Auditorium, visit IU Auditorium’s official website.

A representative for the IU Auditorium did not respond to a request for comment by publication.