Saturday, Aug. 24

politics national

Republicans at the RNC react to Trump’s pick for Vice President

jdvancestory07152024.jpeg

This story is part of the IDS’ national convention coverage. Follow reporter Andrew Miller on X and IDS social media for updates.

MILWAUKEE — People outside the Republican National Convention praised Donald Trump’s pick of Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance as his vice presidential nominee Monday.

Vance, who was thrust into the spotlight with his popular memoir “Hillbilly Elegy,” is a self-described populist from Middletown, Ohio. He was elected Ohio’s senator in 2022, following a Trump endorsement in a contentious Republican primary. 

Vance, 39, is a relatively young pick. Vice President Kamala Harris is 59. 

The selection of Vance is also indicative of a switch in his and the former president’s personal politics. Vance was a harsh critic of Trump during his presidency, calling the then-president a “moral disaster” in leaked direct messages on X.

The pick comes on the first day of the party’s convention and two days after Trump’s near-assassination

David Freiheit, a YouTuber and video blogger on Rumble, a platform popular for right-wing users, said Vance was his first pick for vice president. He described the senator as “assassination insurance,” due to his younger age. 

Freiheit was also supportive of Vance’s strong pro-tariff stances, which he said would put “America first,” in office. Trump has previously proposed a 10% levy on all imports and a 60% tariff on all Chinese goods.

“He’s always been a man of the people,” Freiheit said of Vance. 

Brad Neuser, who was selling T-shirts with the viral image of Trump raising his fist surrounded by Secret Service after Sunday’s attempted assassination, said he was also excited about Vance’s younger age.

“I think he’s going to hopefully bring in some of the younger votes for Donald,” he said.

Carol Cassidy, from El Paso, said she was happy Trump picked someone who is Christian. Vance converted to Catholicism in 2019, after not being deeply affiliated before. 

“My views on public policy and what the optimal state should look like are pretty aligned with Catholic social teaching,” Vance told The American Conservative in 2019. 

Indiana Sen. Todd Young, who is not attending the convention, congratulated Vance on X.

“I have found JD to be a thoughtful legislator with a deep understanding of the Midwest and our priorities,” he wrote.

Indiana gubernatorial candidate and Sen. Mike Braun praised Trump’s pick on X, writing “J.D. Vance knows firsthand the experience of the forgotten American family and is proof that there’s no limit to how high you can rise in our country with hard work and strong values.”

— Andrew Miller covers politics and elections for the Indiana Daily Student. Contact him at ami3@iu.edu, or direct message via X.