Thursday, Sept. 12

city politics

Protesters clash with police during first day of Chicago Democratic National Convention

dncprotest.jpg

This story is part of the IDS’ national convention coverage. Follow reporter Mia Hilkowitz on X and IDS social media for updates. 

CHICAGO — Several planned protests against the Israel-Hamas War kicked off Monday during the first day of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. While Chicago police arrested 13 people by the end of the night, the generally peaceful demonstrations have rebuked some fears of repeating the chaos and violence associated with the 1968 DNC in Chicago.  

dncprotest.jpg

A man argues with a police officer over his rights to protest Aug. 19, 2024, at Union Park in Chicago. The man said he did not need a permit to protest at a public park, and the officer said that since the protesters' permit had expired, they had to leave.

Ten of the protesters were arrested Monday when a small group of pro-Palestinian protesters breached an outer security perimeter fence surrounding the United Center — where the event’s main programming takes place — leading to a clash with police. The Associated Press reported some protesters threw water bottles at and used pepper spray on the officers. The security breach prompted hours-long delays for delegates and

journalists attempting to enter the United Center ahead of President Joe Biden’s speech. 

dncprotest.jpg

A woman talks to press after asking police officers questions Aug. 19, 2024, at Union Park in Chicago. The woman said they were not an organized group, but just individual protesters.

Later Monday evening, thousands of Pro-Palestinian protesters gathered in Union Park, less than half a mile from the United Center, and set up tents, a practice that has become synonymous with Pro-Palestinian student protests this spring. The demonstrators played music, shared signs and discussed plans for other protests that week until around 6:45 p.m., when at least 100 Chicago police officers, including more than 50 police in riot gear, approached the gathering.  

dncprotest.jpg

Chicago police stand in a line donning riot gear Aug. 19, 2024, at Union Park in Chicago. After protesters took down their tents, the line of officers moved back.

A Chicago police officer at the encampment told reporters that the protesters’ permit to set up tents at the park — which is owned by the Chicago Park District — expired at 6 p.m. He said if protesters took down the tents “this all goes away.”  

dncprotest.jpg

Chicago police officers stand beside a tent put up by pro-Palestinian protesters Aug. 19, 2024, at Union Park in Chicago. Chicago police officers moved into the park after the protesters permit expired at 6 p.m.

“This is pure defiance,” the officer said, although protesters took down the tents shortly after police arrived. 

dncprotest.jpg

A protester takes down a tent Aug. 19, 2024, at Union Park in Chicago. After police moved in closer to the tents, the protesters began taking them down.

Officers held up two signs reading “You are being ordered to disperse by the Chicago police department,” and Indiana Daily Student reporters heard officers deliver two dispersal orders over a megaphone.  

dncprotest.jpg

A Chicago police officer holds up a sign ordering protesters to leave Aug. 19, 2024 at Union Park in Chicago. In addition to the sign being held up, the police issued two verbal warnings to the protesters.

For the next 90 minutes, the protesters took different approaches to the police presence. Some approached the line of riot police and began yelling and chanting “Quit your job and kill yourself” and “fuck 12.” Someone also played songs with anti-police sentiments, including N.W.A.’s “Fuck tha Police” and KRS-One's “Sound of da Police.”  

dncprotest.jpg

A Chicago police officer holds a wooden baton Aug. 19, 2024, at Union Park in Chicago. Police in riot gear stood in a line in front of protesters.

However, many demonstrators instead chose to take down the tents and attempted to peacefully talk with the police. One woman, who carried a Palestinian flag, told officers her fellow protesters were her “children” and ended up encouraging those surrounding her to go home to avoid any violence.  

Shortly before the park was set to close at dusk, another Chicago police officer told the IDS the police would issue another warning for people to leave the demonstration, or they would face arrest. Police had not made any arrests by 8:15 p.m., and it was unclear if any arrests occurred after this.  

— Mia Hilkowitz is a reporter and editor at the Indiana Daily Student. Contact her at mhilkowi@iu.edu.