Monday, Sept. 9

Indiana basketball to hold Hoosier Hysteria on Homecoming week, alters schedule

Indiana men's basketball team members celebrate with senior guard Anthony Leal during Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 20, 2023, in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Indiana men's and women's basketball will hold the 2024 iteration of Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 18.

Indiana basketball will host Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 18 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, IU Athletics announced Friday in a press release. Hoosier Hysteria, an annual preseason introduction of both the men’s and women’s teams, coincides with Homecoming weekend. 

This year’s iteration of the event will be scrimmage-based, differing from those of past seasons, when players went through various skills competitions and a 3-point contest. 

Indiana women’s basketball is scheduled to kick off Hoosier Hysteria, as player introductions will be followed by a speech from head coach Teri Moren. The Hoosiers’ women’s squad will then hold a two-quarter intrasquad scrimmage. 

“Our program always looks forward to Hoosier Hysteria and are eager for our fans to get a sneak peek at the 2024-25 team,” Moren said in the release. “It will be a great opportunity for our student-athletes to scrimmage in front of Hoosier Nation. We can’t wait to be in the atmosphere of the best fan base in college athletics on Oct. 18.” 

After the IU women’s team finishes its scrimmage, the men’s team will follow the same sequence of events — introductions, a speech from head coach Mike Woodson and two quarters of an intrasquad scrimmage. 

“We are excited to roll out this new format of Hoosier Hysteria,” Woodson said in the release. “Getting our team in front of Hoosier Nation has always been a priority for this ballclub. The scrimmage will be the first chance for our fans to get a look at our new players and most importantly will give our guys a taste of playing competitive basketball in front of the most passionate fans in the game.” 

Before Hoosier Hysteria begins, fans will have a chance to purchase special access into a meet-and-greet opportunity hosted by Hoosiers Connect, IU’s NIL collective, at Cook Hall, the basketball practice facility. The event allows fans to meet the team, take photos and get autographs from both the men’s and women’s teams. 

Information on time and tickets was not provided in the release. 

Also on Homecoming weekend, the Hoosiers’ women’s soccer team hosts Illinois on Oct. 17, field hockey and men’s soccer play Oct. 18 and football hosts Nebraska on Oct. 19 at Memorial Stadium. 

Daniel Flick covers Indiana football and men’s basketball for the Indiana Daily Student. Follow him on X @ByDanielFlick, or reach him via email at DanFlick@iu.edu.