Tuesday, Sept. 10

Cignetti recaps Indiana football’s first scrimmage: Rourke stout, injuries strike

20240806_FB_FallCamp_MRS_021.JPG

Indiana football held its first scrimmage of fall camp Saturday, marking the Hoosiers’ first organized contest since the spring game April 18. 

The Hoosiers held a situational scrimmage inside Memorial Stadium, according to an IU spokesman, rather than a traditional four-quarter, 60-minute affair. First-year Indiana head coach Curt Cignetti saw plenty of positive signs, but also lots to improve on as the Hoosiers inch closer to their season opener Aug. 31 against Florida International University. 

“Liked the energy, the effort, the competition,” Cignetti said in a press conference Monday. “Still a lot of things to clean up assignment-wise, pre-snap penalties, turnovers.” 

The Hoosiers have an important week ahead, with Cignetti eyeing development of players, depth and scheme — but perhaps Indiana’s most significant position battle is nearing its end. 

Cignetti has been adamant throughout the spring and summer that he won’t publicly announce Indiana’s starting quarterback, but as practices have progressed, the picture has grown much clearer. 

Kurtis Rourke, a redshirt senior who transferred from Ohio University, has been the favorite since the day he arrived for workouts in early January. After an up-and-down spring spent learning the intricacies of a new offense and university, Rourke took a firm lead entering the spring game and has carried his momentum into fall camp. 

And according to Cignetti, Rourke is the definitive leader in the race over redshirt sophomore Tayven Jackson and true freshmen Tyler Cherry and Alberto Mendoza. 

“Thought Rourke had a good day,” Cignetti said. “Really sort of separated himself pretty significantly in that scrimmage.” 

Consistency is the distinguishing factor for Rourke, who Cignetti noted continues to stack days. Last week, even on days where he struggled in certain periods, such as seven-on-sevens, he’d respond with encouraging performances elsewhere, like the two-minute drill. 

Playing quarterback goes beyond merely throwing the football. Cignetti dubbed the position an extension of the coach, which comes with the responsibility of making quality decisions that lead to team success. Every play won’t be spectacular, but mitigating mistakes and staying on schedule is important, as is processing. Then, after all that, comes distributing passes to his playmakers. 

And Rourke, at this stage in the preseason, has checked a lot of those boxes. 

“For the most part, he’s been playing good football,” Cignetti said. “Now, [there is] always room for improvement for anybody on this football team — never satisfied. But [Rourke is] consistent and knows how to play quarterback.” 

Jackson offers an alternative option: High upside playmaking, but a much greater risk for turnovers. In 2023, Jackson played in six games with four starts and had more interceptions (five) than total touchdowns (three). In the spring, Cignetti pointed out Jackson’s highs and lows. The same continued Monday, with the Hoosiers’ 63-year-old coach naming a laundry list of areas Jackson needs to improve upon. 

“Tayven, capable of making the wow play, but there has to be more play-in, play-out consistency,” Cignetti said. “Eye discipline, focus, eyes down field, making the right reads, secure the football, not turning the ball over, proper footwork in the run game so we don’t have fumbles in the run game. Things of that nature.” 

Cherry, an early enrollee who was present for spring practice, and Mendoza, a summer arrival, are both improving, Cignetti said — but the competition appears to be strongly in Rourke’s favor with less than three weeks until the season opener. 

The Hoosiers also have questions on the offensive line, where Cignetti said spots are available. Indiana offensive line coach Bob Bostad is the lone assistant carryover from previous head coach Tom Allen’s staff, and Cignetti has grown fond of Bostad’s tough, old-school nature. 

Cignetti also said Bostad is willing to push his players, and while the offensive line was “solid” in the scrimmage, Cignetti wants more. 

“Still some technique things to clean up so we can protect the quarterback a little better,” Cignetti said. “Our defense is a handful when it comes to protecting the passer — schematically, [defensive coordinator Bryant] Haines knows how to get to the quarterback. He challenges those guys up front. So, eye discipline and footwork.” 

Indiana’s scrimmage was of the “thud” variety, which means no firm tackling. Cignetti said it is difficult to run the football because broken or perimeter tackles can’t be accounted for. 

Yet while run defense may be skewed, creating quarterback pressure isn’t, Cignetti said. The Hoosiers lost contain in the pocket a few times, which is an important coaching point heading into Week 1 against Florida International sophomore quarterback Keyone Jenkins, who Cignetti dubbed a crafty, athletic signal caller. 

Indiana’s defense also allowed some explosive plays, but between the pass rush and glimpses of run stopping, Cignetti left Saturday feeling encouraged by his defensive front. 

“Put good pressure on the quarterback,” Cignetti said. “Pretty solid, for the most part, against the run. So, a little bit like the offense — there was good, bad, ugly — but it’s significantly better than it was in the spring. The goal coming into fall camp is second time through it, more consistency and performance, play-in, play-out at a high level.” 

The Hoosiers aren’t there yet and still have plays to install, Cignetti noted, but progress remains visible.  

Indiana did not escape the scrimmage without losses, as freshman defensive back Josh Philostin suffered a knee injury and will be out for “a while,” Cignetti said, as will redshirt freshman defensive end Andrew Depaepe, a transfer from Michigan State. 

Redshirt junior cornerback JoJo Johnson will miss a few weeks with an undisclosed injury sustained Saturday, but otherwise, the Hoosiers’ roster is intact. 

Cignetti will learn plenty about his team in the lead-up to the season opener, but he likes what he’s discovered thus far — and less than three weeks remain until Indiana’s success-deprived fanbase gets to see for itself exactly why.