Tuesday, Sept. 10

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer 2024 position preview: JT Harms leads revamped goalkeeper room

spiumsgkpreview080924.jpg

JT Harms transferred to Indiana men’s soccer at an opportune time. 

Roman Celentano — one of the program’s most decorated goalkeepers — departed to the Major League Soccer ranks. The Hoosiers had the pieces in place to contend for a national title and add the elusive ninth star above the IU crest on their jerseys. 

In stepped Harms, a junior from Duke University who started just three games across his first two seasons of collegiate soccer. Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley said prior to the 2022 season Harms didn’t need to be Celentano. 

Two years later, as Harms prepares for his fifth and final season, he’s one of the top goalkeepers in the Big Ten and one of the unquestioned leaders of a squad garnering expectations of a deep postseason run. 

No, Harms isn’t Celentano. Then again, who is? 

Harms kept seven clean sheets — tops in the Big Ten — in 2022 and added four more in the NCAA Tournament en route to the College Cup Final, which Indiana lost in excruciating fashion to Syracuse University. Last season, Harms led the entire country in minutes played and again paced the conference in shutouts. 

With plentiful experience in high pressure games and moments — and a knack for timely, acrobatic saves — returning Harms is crucial behind a new-look backline. The focus now, Yeagley said Wednesday in a press conference, turns to which Indiana goalkeepers can push Harms and replace him if needed. 

Brown out for season 

Holden Brown, a graduate transfer goalkeeper from the University of Virginia, will miss the entire 2024 season as he recovers from knee surgery. Brown suffered a season-ending PCL injury roughly a month into last season and received a medical redshirt, which helped grant him two years of extra eligibility along with the COVID year. 

Yeagley said he wasn’t completely satisfied with the goalkeeping options beyond Harms throughout the spring, and that Brown was brought in to create competition for the starting spot.  

“We felt we had a really good situation with him coming here, pushing JT,” Yeagley said. “Holden’s a proven starter at a blue-blood program in Virginia.” 

Growing up in-state, Brown, a native of Zionsville, Indiana, had familiarity with the team prior to transferring, and his brother Brock was a member of Indiana’s swimming team from 2017-21. 

At Virginia, Brown was an All-ACC third-team selection in 2022 and played every available minute in his sophomore and junior seasons. In 2021, Brown led the ACC and ranked fourth in the NCAA with 86 saves and finished second in the conference in save percentage.  

Though Harms has a firm grasp on the starting job, the 6-foot-5 Brown certainly could’ve offered a battle. While he won’t suit up this season, Yeagley said Brown intends to return for his final year of eligibility. 

“Holden will get healthy, and he’ll be back next year,” Yeagley said. “Nothing will be sweeter for him to lead us in his final year.” 

Depth chart beyond Harms 

Before Brown transferred to Indiana this past spring, Yeagley thought there was a sizeable talent gap between Harms and redshirt freshman Alex Kara and redshirt sophomore Cooper Johnsen.  

He held a candid conversation with Kara and Johnsen about the need to introduce another goalkeeper, but the addition of Brown became moot. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound Kara has impressive measurables and academy experience, and Yeagley said he’s “bullish” about his development. 

Johnsen redshirted as a freshman in 2022 and served strictly as a reserve last season. With Brown’s injury, Yeagley said the team required a fourth option, and they acquired a veteran starter in Aidan Montoure from the University of Evansville. 

Montoure is a graduate transfer completing his PhD program at Indiana, and he played his freshman year at Presbyterian College before spending two seasons with Evansville. Against the Hoosiers last season, Montoure had a strong five-save performance despite surrendering a pair of goals. 

“Aidan was not brought in just to be a practice player,” Yeagley said. “He’s a capable player that has played in big games. He will not be intimidated by going into a big game.” 

Yeagley said it’s currently unclear where Montoure will end up on the depth chart heading into the season, but the upcoming preseason games should offer a bit more evaluation. Still, with the most experience outside of Harms, it’s likely Montoure serves as the backup. 

The Hoosiers kick off their preseason action Aug. 13 against Bowling Green State University in Westfield, Indiana, before traveling to Louisville to face the Cardinals on Aug. 17.