Tuesday, Sept. 10

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer 2024 position preview: McDonald’s midfield partner uncertain

spiumsmidfieldpreview081224.jpg

Patrick McDonald is the definition of consistency. 

Across three seasons as a member of the Indiana men’s soccer program, the senior has appeared in 69 of 71 matches — only missing two against NCAA Division III Trine University. His efforts in 2023 earned him first-team All-Big Ten honors.  

In critical games, McDonald also had a knack for producing in big moments. He scored the first game-tying goal in the 2022 NCAA national championship against Syracuse University. His goal and two assists against then-No. 10 Wake Forest University in 2023 propelled Indiana to a 3-2 victory and a berth in the NCAA round of 16. In the Elite Eight match against the University of Notre Dame, he scored the equalizer in a match that finished 1-1 in regulation. 

It’s safe to say when McDonald was drafted in the third round of the 2024 Major League Soccer SuperDraft in December, Indiana was losing one of its most pivotal players in recent memory. But his decision to return to the program was even more crucial, as the Hoosiers retained one of the best midfielders in the Big Ten for his final year. 

Now entering his senior season, McDonald will certainly return to his starting midfield role, but the questions surrounding his partner are growing. Indiana men’s soccer coach Todd Yeagley typically plays with a two-person midfield, and with the departure of Hugo Bacharach to the MLS, McDonald needs a companion in the middle of the pitch. 

Wagoner and Jeffus provide an intriguing battle for the vacant spot 

Junior Jack Wagoner may bring the strongest case for starting next to McDonald, considering he already did. His freshman campaign in 2022 featured 13 starts in 22 matches played, including all five in Indiana’s national championship run. Last season, he started the first 10 matches of the year, but once Bacharach emerged as a standout defensive midfielder, Wagoner’s role decreased. 

Entering his junior year, Wagoner is back in contention for the starting job, but he will not be fighting for it alone. Incoming graduate transfer Luke Jeffus arrived from the University of Tulsa in April, and his experience may earn him the spot. 

“Luke Jeffus is one that we’re really excited to push into our rotation,” Yeagley said in a press conference July 27. 

Jeffus started 55 matches in 62 games with the Golden Hurricanes, tallying three goals and five assists. 

A trio of freshmen enter the fray 

From Indiana's newest recruiting class come three freshmen in the midfield, one of which Yeagley believes has a chance at featuring in the lineup. 

“We also have a couple of freshmen, Charlie Heuer in particular, that’s a central midfielder that I’m curious to see how he’ll fit into this particular group,” Yeagley said. 

Heuer is a Top Drawer Soccer 3-star recruit from the Chicago Fire Academy. He brings leadership to the table, having been a co-captain for the U19 academy team. At his previous club FC United, he was honored as the 2022-23 FC United Academy Player of the Year. 

The two other midfield options in Yeagley’s class are Miles Imparato and Drew Thompson. Imparato enters as a TDS 4-star recruit from Chargers SC in MLS Next, where he was a two-time United Soccer Coaches All-American. Thompson played club at the Indy Eleven Academy, helping his team win back-to-back USL Academy Cup Championships in 2021 and 2022.  

More options are available in-house 

The depth of Indiana’s midfield shone through in the spring, most obviously with the emergence of redshirt freshman EJ Dreher in Indiana’s 3-0 win against IUPUI. Other options in the position group include redshirt sophomore Seth Stewart, sophomore Justin Shreffler and redshirt sophomore Noah Joseph. 

While officially listed as a midfielder, redshirt junior Grant Yeagley, the son of Todd, got minutes in the spring in a more advanced role. If Indiana were to use a formation featuring a center attacking midfielder or a hold-up striker, Grant displayed his capabilities of filling those roles. 

The Hoosiers start preseason play against Bowling Green State University on Aug. 13 at Grand Park Sports Complex in Westfield, Indiana, followed by a bout against the University of Louisville on Aug. 17.