Tuesday, Sept. 10

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer 2024 position preview: Miller, Barger headline new-look defense

spiumsdefensepreview080924.jpg

On Oct. 7, 2023, Indiana men’s soccer head coach Todd Yeagley shifted his lineup against Penn State. Instead of starting his usual first choice at center back, Hugo Bacharach, Yeagley brought in senior Jensen Miller to partner fellow senior Joey Maher in the middle of his defense, while moving Bacharach to a holding midfield position. 

For the next 12 matches, this was Indiana’s lineup. And the results emerged quickly and immediately. 

With Miller and Maher in defense, Indiana beat then-No. 19 Penn State and won 11 of its next 12 matches before exiting the NCAA Tournament in the quarterfinals. 

Now, Indiana enters a new season without Bacharach, who was drafted ninth overall in the 2024 MLS SuperDraft, and Maher, who transferred to Saint Louis University in February. Also missing is starting fullback Bret Bebej, who graduated after playing 94 games across five years for the Hoosiers. 

Indiana’s defense was one of its strongest units in 2023, conceding only 11 goals in 17 regular season matches on its way to winning a share of the Big Ten regular season title. With only Miller and sophomore left back Alex Barger returning, the Hoosiers will hope to continue their success with some fresh faces. 

Miller and Barger will play vital roles as returning starters 

Miller’s final season at Indiana will prove to be his most important, as his experience and leadership will be put to the test with a group of young and new defenders. His ability to step into the center back role midseason last year proved pivotal, as he allowed Bacharach to advance to the holding midfield position without losing any strength in defense. 

Entering the new season following Maher’s departure, Miller will be asked to lead by example next to a younger, less experienced player like incoming freshmen Josh Maher or Jack Lindimore. 

Barger is the only other returning starter in defense. As a freshman, he started all 23 matches in which he played, logging a goal and an assist from the left back position while also maintaining excellent defensive play. 

“Defensively, I’ve not had a freshman as ready as him,” Yeagley said Wednesday in a press conference. “He was ready, which is really hard.” 

But with all Barger’s strengths comes his weaknesses, particularly in the attacking half of the field. Yeagley has stressed areas of improvement for the young defender, but even still, his expectations for Barger’s sophomore campaign have not lessened. 

“He’s got an amazing endurance pace, he’s got the profile we like, but we just need a little bit more final third play from him,” Yeagley said. “I’m expecting another important year from him.” 

Louisville transfer Elliot fills important hole 

Following the graduation of Bebej, right back was a position of need for Indiana, but with the addition of junior Quinton Elliot, it appears that need has been filled. 

“A fantastic challenge we have is filling that right back [position],” Yeagley said. “Quinton Elliot did a great job this spring.”  

Elliot arrives from the University of Louisville, where he started 38 of the 39 matches he played in the two years he was a Cardinal. Beyond his dependability, he accumulated two goals and eight assists. 

New freshmen can provide immediate impact 

Headlining the incoming freshman class is Josh Maher, the younger brother to Joey and former Indiana center back Jack Maher. A 4-star recruit according to Top Drawer Soccer and a member of the Saint Louis City FC Academy, Josh could slot into a starting spot much like his brothers did in their freshman seasons. 

Two other defensive options in Yeagley’s freshman class are Lindimore and Drew Gaydosh, both TDS 3-star recruits from Ohio. Gaydosh spent time with the FC Cincinnati Academy while Lindimore played club soccer for the Columbus Crew Academy. 

Returning depth will likely get opportunities 

A name to watch this upcoming season is sophomore Joel Demian, who’s under the radar after only playing in seven games last season. But after a strong offseason in which Yeagley deemed him the standout of the latter half of the spring, Demian will feature more this season at left back, forcing a healthy competition with Barger. 

“What a great opportunity to have both those players healthy, playing well,” Yeagley said about Barger and Demian. 

Another positive displayed in the spring games was redshirt sophomore Breckin Minzey. Officially labeled a midfielder, Minzey produced quality minutes in defense at both the center back and right back positions in the spring. 

Redshirt freshman Luke Reidell will struggle to break through the strong depth in defense, but he still provides potential after playing club for the Sporting Kansas City Academy. 

The Hoosiers begin their preseason against Bowling Green State University on Aug. 13 at Grand Park Sports Complex in Westfield, Indiana.