Tuesday, Sept. 17

sports women's soccer

Kennedy Neighbors delivers lone goal to lift Indiana women’s soccer over Tennessee

spiuwsocrecap081624.jpeg

Indiana women's soccer entered last season ranked at the bottom of the Big Ten Conference preseason polls. The Hoosiers then made their first NCAA Tournament appearance 2013. It’s looking quite similar on the pitch this season already with a powerful defense and aggressive offense.  

At No. 10 in the Big Ten Women’s Soccer Preseason Poll for the 2024 season, Indiana head coach Erwin Van Bennekom’s team went into Thursday night’s season opener against the University of Tennessee looking fierce. 

However, the first half was quiet for both teams. The Hoosiers looked patient, which isn’t expected as the program is known for its fast-paced play style. But what hadn’t changed was senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg’s exceptional presence in the box. The 2023 Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year ended the game with four saves and zero goals allowed. The Volunteers held the ball for most possession of the first half, with the Hoosiers pressuring.  

Both teams had shots on goal in the first half, but none were able to get through either keeper.  

Despite some shots not hitting the back of the net, it was sophomore midfielder Kennedy Neighbors who got the one goal past Volunteer goalkeeper Ally Zazzara in the beginning of the second half. Coming from a long throw in by senior defender Lauren Costello, the ball bounced around the outside of the 6-yard box, with Tennessee trying to clear it until it ended up at the feet of Neighbors, who got a shot off. The ball rolled into the net after deflecting off Zazzara’s left hand. The sophomore’s goal was the first of her career wearing crimson and cream.  

For the rest of the second half, the Hoosiers completely controlled both sides of the ball. While they did not continue to score, they continued to pressure the ball on Tennessee and provide the force lacking in the first half. Physicality was present throughout the game as senior defender Camille Hamm even picked up a yellow card.  

Tennessee racked up six corners, but the Hoosiers were quick and first to the ball. The defense maintained its strong resume from last season, as it only allowed the Volunteers seven shots with four shots on goal. The four shots came from two in the first half and two in the second half as the Hoosiers were winning almost every 50/50 ball. But when the ball did get past them and towards the goal, Gerstenberg came up big and recorded saves to seal the match. 

Overall, it was an impressive performance by the entire Hoosiers squad, who earned their statement season-opening 1-0 win. 

With the season opener in the books, Indiana (1-0) will travel 112 miles north to Muncie, Indiana, to play against Ball State University (1-0) in its first road game of the season. The matchup on the pitch is set for 5:30 p.m. Aug. 20.