Thursday, Sept. 12

sports women's soccer

2 early goals fuel Indiana women’s soccer to second win of the season

spiuwsrecap082124.jpeg

In its second game of the 2024 campaign, Indiana women’s soccer got off to a flaming hot start against Ball State University.  

It began with a goal from sophomore midfielder Kennedy Neighbors, just one game after she recorded her first goal as a Hoosier. The goal came in the fourth minute with a play by freshman forward Layla Sirdah who found Neighbors between the defenders on the run. Neighbors received the pass through defenders which was followed by her dribbling into the 18-yard box then striking the ball into the left side of the net.  

Three minutes later, Sirdah took a corner kick that was placed into the middle of the 6-yard box. Freshman defender Haden Vlcek connected with the cross as she headed the ball, which then bounced in off the cross bar to make it a 2-0 game in the seventh minute. An early two goals and two assists by Sirdah gave the Hoosiers breathing room for the rest of the game. In her first career start, Vlcek recorded first career goal, as well.  

The Hoosiers made it difficult for the Cardinals to keep up on defense, as they continued to look for any opportunity to score once they entered the Cardinals half of the pitch for a majority of the first half.  

Ball State got one shot to hit the back of the net in the 29th minute. The goal that got behind senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg was a shot off the left post that slithered into the goal to give Gerstenberg her first allowed goal of the season. However, she did have two saves and earned her 24th career victory as a Hoosier. She is now tied for third in Indiana women’s soccer career victories.  

After the goal by junior midfielder Addie Chester from Ball State, the Cardinals saw a shift of momentum, as they put more pressure on the Indiana defense.  

The only other opportunity on goal in the first half for the Hoosiers came from sophomore midfielder Elle Britt in the 42nd minute with a low shot to the center of goal, but it was saved by Cardinals junior goalkeeper Grace Konopatzki.  

Sirdah found Indiana’s first opportunity to score in the second half after recording two assists with a shot on goal in the 61st minute. Despite a hard knock toward the goal, Konopatzki was able to jump on the ball before hitting the back of the net.  

The Hoosiers continued to provide force on the Ball State defense, and Gerstenberg didn’t allow anything to get behind her in the goal which led to a 2-1 victory. Indiana outshot the Cardinals 11-9 and 6-3 on goal.  

Indiana (2-0) will host Wright State University (0-1) at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 29 at Bill Armstrong Stadium as the Hoosiers look to continue their early season win streak.