Wednesday, Sept. 11

campus administration

Whitten appoints co-chairs for IU-Bloomington chancellor search committee

cachancellorsearch081324.jpg

IU President Pamela Whitten announced Tuesday co-chairs for the search committee for a new IU-Bloomington executive vice president and chancellor. 

Danielle DeSawal and David Daleke have been chosen to co-chair the search committee, according to an IU Today release. Whitten appointed the committee co-chairs and members. 

DeSawal is a clinical professor of higher education and student affairs and president of the Bloomington Faculty Council. Daleke is a professor of biochemistry and molecular biology, member of the BFC, dean of the IUB Graduate School and vice provost for graduate education and health sciences. 

Along with Whitten, the search committee includes 16 IU faculty, staff and students, along with the BFC leadership. Isaacson, Miller — an executive search firm — will also be aiding in the search, according to IU Today. 

Professors, deans, students, and more make up the committee, including IU Student Government’s student body president Cooper Tinsley. 

At an IU Board of Trustees meeting in June, the board approved plans to reinstate a chancellor position to the president’s cabinet.  This decision was made due to the “the challenges of higher education paired with the size and complexity” of IUB’s campus, Whitten wrote in an email to the IU community in June.   

Kenneth Gros Louis was IU Bloomington’s last chancellor from 2004 to January 2006. His title was then changed to University Chancellor Emeritus. Before Gros Louis, Louis Sharon Brehm served as chancellor from 2001-2003. 

The chancellor’s responsibilities include overseeing all campus operations like budget, student affairs and enrollment, and will be focused on “enhancing faculty participation in decision-making, building stronger community relations, and promoting a deep understanding of our campus's needs and aspirations,” Whitten wrote in an email Tuesday. 

The chancellor will also oversee the provost’s office, with the provost’s role serving more as the campus academic officer, Whitten wrote.  

Whitten’s role as president will remain unchanged, with each campus-level executive and university administration leadership continuing to report to her, Whitten wrote. 

Whitten wrote she encourages the IU community to participate in the search process like through listening sessions among the co-chairs and the search committee. Updates on the search and how the IU community can participate will be posted on IU Bloomington Today and on the IU Executive Searches website

“I am grateful for the leadership of our search committee and the partnership with the IU Bloomington Faculty Council,” Whitten said in the IU Today release. “Together, we will find an exceptional leader who will foster a culture of collaboration and excellence on our campus.”