Saturday, Sept. 14

arts jacobs school of music

Jacobs School of Music, Kelley School of Business develop joint music business degree

entmusicbusiness082924-jpg

Earlier this August, the Jacobs School of Music announced a new bachelor’s degree in music business program, a collaborative effort with the Kelley School of Business, was in the works.  

The announcement came amidst changes to existing Jacobs degree programs. The music school has initiated a push to better educate students on the breadth of potential career paths and opportunities in the expansive music industry.  

As part of that push, the audio engineering program is rebranding as the music industry department, which will now offer a bachelor’s degree in music production, with a choice of an audio engineering or a creation and production track. Designed under the expert vision of Michael J. Sammis, former president of Universal Production Music, the new music business degree will also soon be housed by the music industry department. 

The new program is a testament to the diverse range of opportunities Jacobs offers as a conservatory and a part of a larger university campus. As a product of the combined highly-rated  resources of the music and business schools, the music business program plans to offer students a full-range, interdisciplinary view into music as an industry and the skills required to succeed in that field. 

The music business program is projected to launch in fall 2025, according to an official email sent to music school students.