Tuesday, Sept. 10

campus student life

Kelley teams up with professional rugby unions for online MBA program

carugby080624.JPG

The Kelley School of Business will offer a Master of Business Administration program to professional rugby players later this year, according to an IU press release. 

The online program will be available for players in the U.S. Rugby Players Association and Major League Rugby Players Association.  

Players will also be able to apply for business certificate programs and several Master of Science programs through the school. 

“We are very pleased to continue our record of delivering business education to highly accomplished professional athletes,” Kelley School of Business Dean Ash Soni said in the release. “As a professional sport, rugby is on the fast track in the U.S. I’ve been a rugby fan since my college days in England and look forward to seeing these professional rugby players in our Kelley classes.” 

The program is designed for current or former players and allows them to pursue a degree or certificate that is flexible and fits their schedules. 

According to the release, the partnership is similar to the school’s past collaborations with the National Football League, Major League Soccer and the Women’s National Basketball Association. 

“The USRPA and MLRPA partnership with IU Kelley School of Business is a fantastic opportunity for American rugby players to gain affordable access to one of the most valuable educational opportunities in the country,” U.S. Rugby Players Association Board Chair Nick Civetta said in the release. “American rugby players have unique skills that are hugely valuable in the workplace, and a Kelley MBA gives players the hard skills to drive success in their post-playing career.” 

The program will include the Kelley Capstone Experience, which allows teams of students to apply skills and knowledge from the program and work on real business projects. 

Many of the classes will be taught using the school’s Brian D. Jellison Studios, a $10 million collection of studios which allow faculty and students to meet virtually as if they were in an in-person classroom. 

“Rugby players are entrepreneurs and business inclined, which is why we are extremely excited for our members, along with their partners, to be a part of such a prestigious program and school,” Chris Mattina, interim president of the Major League Rugby Players Association player board, said in the release. 

An in-person program is also in development, according to the release.