Wednesday, Sept. 11

city bloomington

Monroe County under boil water advisory until 9 a.m. Monday morning

news filler.jpg

A boil water advisory is in effect in Monroe County until 9 a.m. Monday morning, according to a City of Bloomington press release. There is no emergency to the public. 

Sand prepared for a new filter spilled out of its tank at the water treatment plant Friday. Staff stopped the spill, tested the water and found the water’s turbidity levels to be above federal regulations. 

Turbidity is a measure of water clarity, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. High turbidity levels cause water to be cloudy and increase the chance of disease-causing organisms in the water, according to the release. Staff have not found contaminants, however, and expect levels to return to normal by 9 a.m. Monday morning. 

City of Bloomington Utilities recommends residents boil water used for drinking, cooking and oral hygiene for at least two minutes before consumption. Water used for other purposes does not need to be boiled. 

If residents find cloudy water, they should run cold water from a sink or tub until clear water flows from the faucet. 

Residents can also purchase bottled water or find drinking water from another source.  

Bottled water is available at Indiana University dining halls, and the Starbucks inside McNutt Quad is closed until the advisory is lifted. 

More information is available on the city’s website or by calling 812-339-1444.