Monday, Sept. 9

OPINION: It’s a luxury of the upper class to not put toxic materials in your body

optoxins072424-illo

BREAKING NEWS! TAMPONS CONTAIN LEAD!  

AVOID ALL PRODUCTS CONTAINING ADDED SUGAR!  

PROCESSED FOODS ARE DESTROYING YOUR BODY!  

RED DYE 40 CAN LEAD TO CANCER RISK!  

We’ve all seen the headlines. Personally, my TikTok is flooded with videos like this that lead to fear.  

On July 3, a research study performed by the UC Berkeley School of Public Health was released showing tampons from several major brands contain toxic metals like lead, arsenic and cadmium. The study sent the internet into a spiral, for valid reasons.  

The study describes the concern with tampons specifically due to the higher potential for chemical absorption during tampon usage.  

Despite the study not listing specific brands, people took to TikTok and X to share lists of tampon brands containing fewer metals ones that are, hopefully, safer to use.  

However, Tampax, one of the largest tampon brands in the world, costs $7.99 for a 28 pack. A brand like Honey Pot, one of the few companies considered to be relatively safe, is $8.99 for an 18 pack. That is $0.50 pertampon compared to $0.29 pertampon for Tampax. Although not the largest difference in the world, not everyone can afford to pay the difference for less product.  

This occurs in a lot of other aspects of our lives. Products deemed to be “cleaner” or healthier for us are often significantly higher in price.  

It became a major food trend a few years ago to cut seed oils from your diet. It was said to cause inflammation and is often only used in ultra-processed foods.  

Look at peanut butter companies for example: Jif Peanut Butter is $5.99 for a 40 ounce container. However, Jif contains those seed oils we just talked about. But, if you want to avoid those and help your health, a 26 ounce jar of Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter that only contains one ingredient (peanuts) costs $6.99. That is $0.26 per ounce compared to $0.15 per ounce for Jif.  

The impacts of social class on health has been a topic of conversation between Americans for a very long time. This isn’t breaking news.  

We know that, according to the National Institute of Health, 43% of households with incomes below the poverty line are food insecure. People who live in impoverished regions have poor access to fresh foods, and often those regions are considered food deserts 

The result is more fast food, more processed foods, less fruits and vegetables, etc.  

We know that you don’t have to be in poverty to be tight on money and struggling to keep yourself afloat. As college students, it isn’t realistic to expect us to buy upscale brands that are said to be grain-free or don’t contain oils or lead. 

These are luxuries of the upper class.  

This is why it is stereotypical for college students to live off Pop-Tarts and Top Ramen. A 12-count box of Poptarts is $3.99. A six-pack of Maruchan Ramen Noodles is $1.99. So, of course, those tight on money are going to reach for those options compared to the $10.98 package of chicken breasts that will only make two meals.  

The healthier option isn’t always plausible.  

Living off minimum wage, paying bills, buying gas and living in an economy that is skyrocketing do not set any of us up for success in terms of health.   

A huge part of this comes down to fear mongering, and I am not blind to that. We live in a world where social media has become a main source of information, and it is not fact checked in any way. People take to Instagram and TikTok and say whatever they want in hopes of earning a little bit of cash.  

Diet culture has always been the number one target, so I am not oblivious to the fact that I don’t need to buy a $9.99 box of Magic Spoon Cereal just because a TikTok told me I shouldn’t be eating grain.  

However, when studies like the tampon one are released, and our health is truly at risk and targeted, it is hard not to notice the luxury that comes with money.  

I never thought I wouldn’t be able to afford to not put toxic materials in my body.  

Gentry Keener (she/her) is a senior studying journalism and political science.