Friday, Sept. 13

COLUMN: Podcasts to listen to if you want to get to know IU, Bloomington

podcasts071524-illo

IU-Bloomington is in a vibrant city full of culture, art and diverse activities. Whether you’re a history nut, outdoorsman or night-lifer, the famous college town has a little something for everyone to enjoy. 

If you’re just starting at IU or simply someone new to the area and want to get to know your surroundings, here are some podcasts you must listen to. Podcasts on the subject are a great way to learn about the city — you can even drive around or visit the locations you hear as you listen to them.  

Hosted by IU alumni, Media School professor and journalist James Shanahan, as well as Executive Director of Content Strategy Janae Cummings, “Through the Gates” is the official podcast of IU. It explores various facets of campus life, academic achievements and community engagements. Each episode features interviews with faculty, students and alumni, providing insights into the vibrant community at IU. This is a great place to start if you’re looking for a view into the world of student life at the university. You can listen to the podcast through the Media School’s collection or on SoundCloud. 

A more niche podcast, “Earth Eats,” produced by WFIU Public Radio, focuses on food and sustainability. This podcast explores local food systems, farm-to-table practices and recipes that reflect the agricultural richness of Indiana. Kayte Young, host and producer of “Earth Eats,” found her love for growing, cooking, foraging and preserving fresh food upon moving to Bloomington in 2007. With a background in construction, architecture, nutrition education and writing, her passion for the subject is evident in the podcast. Young lives in Bloomington's McDoel Gardens neighborhood, where she tends to a colony of bees and a thriving garden. Listen to the podcast on NPR’s website or on Apple Podcasts. 

If you want to focus more on the historical aspects of IU, dive into the world of “Talking Hoosier History.” Hosted by historians from the Indiana Historical Bureau, this podcast uncovers fascinating stories about the state's past, including pivotal moments and notable figures that have shaped Indiana's identity.  

For over a century, the Indiana Historical Bureau has connected people with Indiana's history through publications, historical markers and now, podcasts. “Talking Hoosier History” is their storytelling podcast, delving into the diverse narratives of Indiana's past. Featuring guests like former Indiana Poet Laureate Shari Wagner and Marion County Historian Steve Barnett, episodes cover a range of topics such as African American history, women's history, science and poetry — all of which offer a fresh perspective on the state's rich cultural heritage. You can listen to THH wherever you get your podcasts. 

The last mention is for the sports fanatics and, if you’re new to Bloomington, you’ll want to become a Hoosiers fan if you aren’t already. IU sports have some of the most dedicated fan bases in the country, and there’s nothing more hype than seeing the teams in action. “Hoosier Hysterics” is a podcast that covers everything about IU athletics. From game highlights to interviews with coaches and players, this podcast captures the passion and pride associated with Hoosier sports culture. The podcast also features discussions and critiques about the current state of IU sports programs, making it a must-listen for fans who live and breathe cream and crimson or those looking to get insight into the passionate world of your new favorite collegiate sports team. Give it a listen wherever you get your podcasts. 

Vincent Winkler (he/him) is a rising sophomore studying sociology. 

This article is part of the Source Visitor’s Guide, an IDS special publication.