Wednesday, Sept. 11

The High School Classes You Should Take To Become A Lawyer

Photo by Emily Ranquist on Pexels

Series like Suits and movies like Erin Brockovich have showed the world how exciting a career in law can be, whether that's as a criminal defense attorney or a paralegal. However, you should also know that movies and series don't tend to show you just how time-consuming and tough these careers can be. To pursue a career in law, it would be a good idea to start with the right high school classes so as to lay a solid foundation for your future studies. While specific high school requirements can vary, here are some essential classes and activities that can help prepare you for a successful journey toward becoming a lawyer.

Core Academic Classes

Before looking into extracurricular activities that will in the short term help your application and in the long term facilitate your public speaking skills, let's first check out the classes you'll need to take. Many students do ask themselves: what high school classes should I take to be a lawyer or are there law classes in high school? These are normal questions to ask yourself. First, English is arguably the most crucial subject for aspiring lawyers, as is Latin, believe it or not. Lots of the literature and many terms in law come from the Latin language, so taking a Latin class could help you considerably. Strong reading comprehension and writing skills are also fundamental to law as your whole practice is going to be based on written documents and finding meaning or mistakes in them. Advanced English classes, including AP English Literature and AP English Language, can enhance your ability to analyze texts and articulate arguments effectively. You will need stellar negotiation skills and should use every opportunity you get to practice and research. Read up on things like how to negotiate a settlement without a lawyer on mighty.com to solidify your knowledge and seek other perspectives.

History is another class you're going to want to be in the front row for. Courses in U.S. history, global history and the government as a whole can provide essential knowledge about legal systems, historical context and the evolution of laws. Understanding political systems, historical events and the role of government will give you a solid foundation for studying law in college. While not directly related to law, taking advanced math courses like algebra II or calculus helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving, skills that you are going to need daily. Analytical skills that you gain from math can be beneficial in legal reasoning and analysis, another cornerstone of being a good lawyer.

Elective Classes

In addition to history, math and English, you can never go wrong with debate and speech classes where you can really improve your public speaking skills, argument construction and critical thinking – three cornerstones of a successful lawyer. Debate competitions, in particular, offer practical experience in formulating and defending positions. While you might be shy at first, the more you practice, the more you'll cement your skills and experience, hopefully giving you an added advantage when you do go to law school.

Psychology is another paramount class that you shouldn't miss. A basic understanding of human behavior and mental processes can be useful in legal practice because, after all, you will be working with people and trying to understand why they've done what they have. Psychology classes help develop insights into motivations and decision-making processes, which can be advantageous in understanding clients, witnesses and juries. Psychology will give you a broader understanding of the 'why' factor behind actions, thereby allowing you to defend your clients better in future.

Understanding ethics and practicing ethical behavior is a must in law. You will be dealing with what's right and what's wrong on a daily basis, and behaving ethically in all situations will help you form the basis to assist others and do so on good footing. Studying ethics can provide a foundation for understanding moral principles and their application in legal contexts. Courses in ethics help develop the ability to think critically about complex issues and make reasoned decisions.

Extracurricular Activities

If you have been wondering 'what classes should I take in high school to become a lawyer?', here are some examples of extracurricular activities that might count as much as actual classes in terms of your legal understanding and preparedness to go to university. The first would be to participate in a mock trial team, which will undoubtedly give you practical experience in legal procedures, courtroom decorum and trial strategy. It provides a hands-on approach to understanding how legal arguments are presented and challenged in a courtroom setting. If you do have the opportunity to join the Model United Nations because it helps you develop skills in diplomacy, negotiation and public speaking, all of which you'll need going forward. It also provides experience in formulating and defending arguments on international issues, and will allow you to feel more comfortable all-round.

Additional Tips for Aspiring Lawyers

It's really important for you to develop strong study habits early on in your academic career because legal studies require extensive reading, writing and research. Aim to build and develop both your study habits and your time management skills in high school so that you're optimally prepared for the demanding workload that you'll face at Uni. Don't be either to seek out mentors and make connections with professionals in the legal field. They can offer advice on preparing for a legal career and may help you with internships or job shadowing opportunities. Lastly, read widely and cultivate a habit of reading newspapers, legal journals and classic literature to help enhance your understanding of current events, legal issues and diverse perspectives.