Thursday, Sept. 26

city bloomington

Hurricane Helene remnants to cause rainy, windy weekend for Bloomington

news filler.jpg

Bloomington residents can expect a rain-filled, windy weekend due to remnants of Hurricane Helene sending storms through the Midwest. 

The National Weather Service in Indianapolis issued a wind advisory from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday for Monroe County. This includes wind gusts up to 55 miles per hour throughout Friday, due to remnants from Helene.   

This could make driving difficult, according to the NWS. The NWS also recommends securing outdoor objects. 

Hurricane Helene turned into a Category 3 Hurricane on Thursday, according to the CNN Live Weather Report. A Category 3 hurricane indicates winds in the 110-120 mile per hour range and destructive capability, such as major damage to homes, uprooting of trees and power outages for several days, according to USA Today. It could reach Category 4 by landfall, according to CNN. A storm of that level would include winds up to 156 miles per hour and “catastrophic” damage. 

Football fans worried about the Indiana University game against Maryland this Saturday should continue to watch for lightning. The current weather outlook from the AccuWeather channel provides a Tropical Storm prediction, with a 91% chance of rain. 

According to the College Football Network, “Teams will play through the rain and wind, but if there’s lightning within an eight-mile radius of the stadium, the game is immediately paused for a 30-minute weather delay.” 

According to the AccuWeather channel, after this weekend, Bloomington residents should expect a sunny week in the mid to low 70’s.