Tuesday, Sept. 24

arts food

COLUMN: Sunday Brunch at Bloomington’s only distillery

entcardinalspirits091924-2.jpg

If you are a fan of experiencing hidden gems in Bloomington, I recommend making a reservation at the local distillery and restaurant, Cardinal Spirits. After spending my Sunday on the restaurant’s patio with a friend, I want to share my divine dining experience with others. 

Sundays are special at Cardinal Spirits because they are the only days it has morning hours from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and exclusive brunch items. Knowing this, I booked an 11:30 a.m. Sunday brunch reservation for myself and a friend. We arrived right on time and were instantly greeted and led outside to the patio to find our table.  

As I held the brunch menu, my eyes were searching the page for a savory breakfast item. After reading the description of Cardinal Spirits’ fried chicken biscuit ($18), I was instantly intrigued. 

The menu read “chicken breast, biscuit, wilted greens, shishito maple syrup, topped with fried egg to order.”  While it may be untraditional to eat fried chicken and fried egg in the same bite, I was excited to try Cardinal Spirits’ take on this traditionally southern breakfast item.  

My friend was craving a sweet breakfast item and decided to indulge in the Five Spice French Toast ($9). When her plate came out, the bread slices were so fluffy that they resembled four inflated slices of angel cake. Each bite was infused with cinnamon flavor which paired nicely with the bourbon whipped cream served with the meal.  

In addition to its restaurant, Cardinal Spirit is also a distillery. The establishment makes its own vodka, rum, whiskey and gin and has a longer drink menu than food menu. The cocktail menu is filled with creative drinks such as a Bramble Screwdriver, which contains its Bramble Black Raspberry Vodka ($9) and fresh squeezed orange juice, and the Camp Crystal Lake ($13), which contains a green apple infused Single Malt Whiskey, date, lemon and ginger.  

My drink of choice was the Little Miss Sunshine ($10), which had Cardinal Spirits’ signature Flora Liqueur, fresh squeezed orange juice, lemon, dry vermouth and grapefruit bitter. The citrus cocktail was extremely delightful and tasted like a spiked cup of orange juice.  

If you want to try Cardinal Spirits’ cocktails later in the week, you can also purchase one of the company’s various canned drinks. I tried the canned Bramble Brule and loved the lasting flavor of ginger after each sip. For $13, you can buy a pack of four locally brewed canned cocktails.  

There is truly no place like Cardinal Spirits in Bloomington. If you are looking to support a local restaurant and enjoy a delicious meal paired with an innovative cocktail, claim a reservation on their website for Sunday brunch.