Thursday, Sept. 26

arts iu auditorium

COLUMN: Les Misérables brings the revolution to IU Auditorium

entlesmis092924.jpg

I remember the first time I listened to “Les Misérables.” I was in fifth grade and had been given the sheet music to “Castle on a Cloud” by my vocal coach. The song is sweet and one of great yearning, as it details a young Cosette’s longing to escape her servant-esque life. When I started singing, it was clear I truly had no idea how to act out the song. My vocal coach gave me the assignment to watch the musical’s 25th Anniversary Concert and thus my obsession began.  

Now, over 10 years later, “Les Misérables” has followed me to college. 

“Les Misérables” starts in 1815 with Jean Valjean, a former prisoner who spent 19 years of his life serving time after stealing a loaf of bread. After Valjean breaks his parole, inspector and prison guard Javert dedicates his life to bringing the ex-convict to justice. After being met with kindness by a bishop, Valjean devotes his life to becoming an honest man.  

Valjean is played by the masterful Nick Cartell, a performer who had the audience in the palm of his hand. The metamorphosis from a hardened ex-convict to a compassionate father figure was powerful and gave him room to showcase his range. Preston Truman Boyd’s portrayal of Javert was equally terrifying as it was beautiful. Javert is a flawed character, a city official whose obsession with Valjean descends him into madness. Each part of the musical gave us a new perspective on the two; for Valjean, an arc of holistic growth, and for Javert, an arc of true madness. Cartell and Boyd captured this perfectly.  

Eight years later, Jean Valjean goes by the name of “Monsieur Le Maire” and is the mayor of his town. We meet Fantine, a single mother desperately sending her factory income to support her daughter, Cosette, who is being raised by innkeepers, the scamming Thénardiers. Haley Dortch, who plays Fantine, is a commanding force, as she is quickly stripped of her dignity after losing her job. “I Dreamed A Dream” is an iconic song, but Dortch’s performance is otherworldly. I had chills the entire time. By the time Fantine had passed away moments later, I was mourning her vocals and left wanting more. In his need to do good, Valjean rescues a man who is stuck under a cart. Javert witnesses this act, impressed by Valjean’s strength, not knowing his true identity. Javert informs him that Valjean has been arrested and is going to trial. In “Who Am I,” Valjean battles with himself. This mistaken identity could free him forever, but at what cost? He confesses and escapes from Javert’s captivity.  

The Thénardiers act as Cosette’s guardians but use her as their servant. When Valjean comes to adopt her, they attempt to scam him. He outsmarts them and pays a fee to take Cosette.  

Nine years later, Paris is in shambles due to General Lamarque’s, a savior to the poor, ailing health. Students like Marius, played by Jake David Smith, and Enjolras, played by Devin Archer, band together to prepare for the revolution. Marius bumps into Cosette, played by Delaney Guyer, and it’s love at first sight. Smith and Guyer are beyond sincere with this moment and continue to soar in “In My Life/A Heart Full of Love.” Archer’s Enjolras commands the stage, a fiery standout with a pristine voice.  

Marius’ closest friend and daughter to the Thénardiers, Eponine, suffers as she is in love with him. Mya Rena Hunter’s Éponine is one of strength, causing the audience to cringe whenever Marius confides in her about Cosette. It leaves us rooting for her to win his heart, but I think it’s too late for Victor Hugo to change his mind.  

I won’t give act two away, but I left IU Auditorium in tears. The emotional score was made even more effective with the dim lights and gritty set. Each battle scene felt real as you could smell the smoke from the prop bullets. The sniffles in the audience during “Empty Chairs and Empty Tables” united us.  

Indiana University senior Thaja Thangjam had never listened to “Les Misérables” before and was curious after seeing the advertisements all over campus. She walked out of the theatre a “Les Misérables” fan, something she did not expect.  

“It truly was a beautiful show,” she said. “Everything came together artistically.”  

The beauty of Les Misérables is that it connects everyone, not just theater fans.  

Another IU senior Halla Terris attended the show because it is her mother’s favorite musical.  

“When Les Mis came here, I told myself I had to go,” Terris said.  

But by the end of the show, she confessed “it was really long, but worth the watch”. 

“Les Misérables” continues at IU Auditorium this week with performances at 7:30 pm Sept. 26 and 8 p.m. Sept. 27-28. There will be a matinee at 2 p.m. Sept. 28-29 with a closing performance at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 29.