Saturday, Sept. 21

arts community events

COLUMN: Enjoy the warm weather in Bloomington this month with these outdoor activities

entoutdooractivities091724-illo

We have made it halfway through September without the temperature dropping significantly, which means we can still say it’s summer. While some may be anticipating the leaves to fall, it's not too late to make the most of the beautiful weather that’s left. Here are some activities that may convince you to spend your free time outside this month.  

Drive-in movie theatre  

While people have enjoyed the drive-in for many years, I don’t think this activity is appreciated enough. It’s the perfect way to spend time outside when you’re too lazy to be active. All you need is a car, snacks and a blanket to prepare for this classic outing. 

Bloomington even has its very own Starlite Drive-In just a 20-minute drive from campus. This place has been running since 1955 and still plays audience favorite movies, featuring a range of classic and newly released films. If you’ve been waiting for the right time to see the new “Beetlejuice” film, this is the sign to drive to Starlite this weekend and watch it from the comfort of your own car. 

You might even feel like you’re in the 1980s after stepping into the concessions shop. With their retro-tiled floors and vintage decor, it feels like you're going back in time for a night. Their food menu offers a variety of options to choose from. I usually go with the classic order of movie theatre popcorn, but they serve hotdogs and hamburgers too. Don’t worry about catching a big crowd because the drive-in can hold as many as 418 cars.  

Hiking trails 

Monroe County has various hiking trails just minutes from IU’s campus. The idea of a long hike may sound boring to college students who spend all day walking around campus, but the hiking trails in Bloomington will make this activity worth your while with eye-catching sights. A nice walk outdoors helps to clear the mind when you’re having a stressful day. Lower Cascade Park is a 10-minute drive from campus and open every day from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. The main asphalt trail guides you to a perfect view of waterfall showers. Both waterfall trails and the boardwalk take you on a tour of the whole park which helps you decide what kind of views you want to see. These trails direct your path to ensure that you won’t get lost.  

For those without a car, Griffy Lake is about a 20-minute walk past Memorial Stadium and is open from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. This nature preserve has around six different trails, but their popular ones are the nature trail (0.5 miles) and the hiking trail (1.7 miles). I usually visit Griffy Lake after 7 p.m. because I love watching the sunset reflect on the water. While the weather is still inviting, make the most of your free time and take an hour to walk around the nearest hiking trails. 

BYOB (Bring Your Own Business) at Showalter Fountain 

BYOB is a student-run organization that allows each member to showcase their own business two Sundays each month at Showalter Fountain. This has been my favorite Sunday activity for the past couple of years. I always get excited for BYOB Sunday because it’s a great way to get up and active in the morning. I usually turn this activity into a good walk since it’s not super close to my apartment and it always gets me ready to take on the day. I’m already counting down the days until their next event on September 26th. 

Each student sets up a table at 10:30 a.m. to display their business for everyone to see and shop from. I like to go because most of the student vendors sell vintage clothes and trendy IU gear. Most of the items are sold at a reduced price, which is even better for a college student budget. I never leave this event empty-handed because I always find a good deal. Most of the vendors sell clothes or accessories but the items appeal to all ages and genders.   

Water Sports at Monroe Lake 

As Insta-worthy as Monroe Lake is for sunsets and boat days, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy the lake. If you have been craving a relaxing lake day but don’t want to put in the effort to rent a boat, I have found the perfect activities for you.  

LT Paddle Sports offers a variety of watersport rentals from which to choose. Their hourly rentals include paddle boards, kayaks, canoes and windsurfing boards. They even offer classes that instruct visitors on how to use a paddleboard properly. If you’re in need of a Zen afternoon, they also teach paddleboard yoga classes. If you love yoga and lakes, then this is a perfect way to combine your favorite activities. This is either a nice way to end your weekend with a friend or a great way to start off your day.