Monday, Sept. 16

The big game, one tradition at a time

Entfootballtradition090524-jpg

After more than 60 years of IU football in Memorial Stadium, Hoosier fans have learned a thing or two about how best to celebrate a game day. From free T-shirts, to the Marching Hundred, there’s a game day tradition to match any Hoosier’s interests. For those who have never experienced an IU football game before, the Indiana Daily Student will walk you through them all.  

The pre-game 

While you get ready for the big game, don’t forget to get dressed in your best school spirit! Hoosier gameday is the best time to proudly wear your cream and crimson overalls, candy-striped pants, Hoosier merchandise, hair ribbons and even face paint. Whatever you wear, make it loud and proud. 

Before the game, grab a spot in the Memorial Stadium parking lot or in the grassy lot between North Fess and North Forrest Avenues for one of the most widely participated traditions — tailgating. Take the time to hang out with your fellow Hoosier fans — toss a football, grill out and get excited for the game. 

Student section 

It’s time for the big game. You’ve had your cookout, you’re in your gear, but where to sit? It won’t be hard to find fellow Indiana football fans. The Hoosier Nation Student Section is one of the largest in America. More than 10,000 students buy season tickets every year, giving them access to the exclusive student section seating. Be warned, though; if you are determined enough to stand in the student section, you’ll be standing the entire time. That’s just the price of admission for the most dedicated fans. 

Now that you are sitting, or standing, in the crowd of fans, everyone adorned in their cream and crimson, there’s one more tradition to partake in before the game begins: the singing of Back Home Again in Indiana.” As the Marching Hundred, IU’s 300-member marching band, begins their opening notes, everyone in the crowd will rise to their feet for the playing of the song, singing in unison. A group of volunteers bring out an Indiana state flag which covers nearly half of the football field. 

Your Indiana Hoosiers! 

Oh, here they come! One of the most enjoyed gameday traditions at any IU football game is the football team’s runout. The Marching Hundred members arrange themselves in the shape of IU’s logo as pyrotechnics blow more than 150 feet in the air.  

Prior to this season, members of the crowd would lock arms and sway as the team runs onto the field, touching Hep’s Rock. Former IU football coach Terry Hoeppner installed the rock, which symbolizes immovable strength and team unity, before he passed away in 2007. It was announced ahead of the 2024 season that Hep’s Rock would be moved from the north end zone to the east entrance of Memorial Stadium. 

It’s game time

Now that the game has officially started, cheerleaders hover on the sidelines and take the field during timeouts, performing energetic routines to pump up the crowd. Plus, the IU cheerleaders are much more than simply support. They’ve won six Division I National Championships, so they know what they’re talking — or chanting — about! 

Also keep an eye out for the Hoosier Hype Crew. These “ambassadors-of-fun" prowl the grounds, always on the lookout to propel T-shirts, hot-dogs or other prizes out of their shooters to some lucky fans. 

If IU wins, look out for the official victory flag. It is 50 feet long and 30 feet tall — not to mention 160 feet up in the air — and is the largest and tallest flying victory flag in college football.