Sunday, Sept. 15

OPINION: What going back to pre-school taught me about college

opfreshmanadvice090224-illo

Like many elementary education majors, I was heavily influenced to pursue a career in teaching from my experiences working with kids as a high schooler. Now that I’m in college, the time between school breaks is spent in other schools, where I work as a substitute teacher.  

I could write a book of all the stories I have about how students have influenced my perspective as a future educator. Even the story of a student who ate a frog. True story. 

The start of this school year was no different. In my home district, school starts early, so there was a considerable gap between when school started on July 31 and when I had to move back to Bloomington to start my junior year.  

And so, at 20 years old, I went back to preschool.  

I noticed a striking similarity to starting preschool and college. Firstly, everyone is trying to figure life out in a place they don’t know anything about. They’re trying to make new friends, attempt independence, manage homesickness and, of course, everyone loves fruit snacks.  

And so, as a seasoned veteran of both, here are three of my best pieces of advice for anyone going back to school and beginning this new phase of life. 

Embrace the challenges: the difficulties, the moments where you think “it’s too hard” and “I’m just not ready yet.”  

This year will surprise you with its challenges, but it will show you that you are wildly more capable than you could ever imagine. It is in these moments of unpreparedness, the moments where we are thrust out into the unknown, that you truly find out your true potential.  

You’re not alone.  

This is one of the most significant transitions in life, but it's one that you and every one of your peers are collectively learning how to navigate through. No matter what emotions you're feeling, the people you’re surrounded by are in the exact same boat.  

This shared experience can be a great source of comfort and connection. You will find that everyone around you is just as eager to make new friends, explore new opportunities and discover their true selves as you are. 

Adapt and overcome. 

Set goals, but don't be afraid to re-evaluate when needed. Celebrate your successes and acknowledge your failures. Give your perspective a makeover if it needs it. You will try. You will fail. You might try and fail repeatably and despite those failures, you will get up again. How you view those mistakes is what makes the difference in your long-term happiness. Every experience, whether positive or negative, is a chance to learn something new about yourself and the world, so never let an opportunity for growth pass you by.  

Embarking on a new educational journey, whether that be starting preschool or entering college, is an exciting and challenging phase filled with opportunities for growth and self-discovery. So, take risks. Do the hard thing. Success and growth take time and effort.  

This is your life! You alone have the power to determine what you want to make of it. You alone have the power to determine what kind of person you want to be. Step into this new chapter with confidence, resilience and an open heart, ready to embrace all the adventures that lie ahead. 

Oh, and no frogs.  

Ainsley Foster (she/her) is a junior studying elementary education.