Wednesday, Sept. 18

campus administration

IU Board of Trustees votes on university-wide infrastructure renovations

catrustees091624.JPG

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article was written by a reporter for The Campus Citizen, a student-run independent media outlet covering IU Indianapolis, as part of a collaboration to better cover the Indiana University system and the Board of Trustees. 

The IU Board of Trustees met on Sept. 12 and 13 at the Madam Walker Legacy Center on the IU Indianapolis campus for a regularly scheduled session to discuss enrollment numbers and funding for renovations and expansions. 

The meetings on Sept. 12 began with two executive sessions, which are closed to the public under Indiana’s Open Door Law. Sessions open to the public began at 1 p.m. on Sept. 12.

Campus updates and enrollment

After an acknowledgment of Jill Maurer Burnett’s first official session on the board, the meeting began with an address from campus leaders.

Four new degrees were approved, including a Master of Design Leadership, Master of Public Policy and Master of Science in Education in evidence-based practices in educational psychology at IU Bloomington, as well as a Doctor of Philosophy in Information Sciences at IU Indianapolis. 

Vice President for Regional Campuses and Online Education Ken Iwama shared positive enrollment updates for regional campuses. Collectively, revenue generated by credit hours was 10.5% higher than projected across the regional campuses. 

Enrollment increased 2.4% from the 2023-2024 academic year, and credit hours increased 3.6%. New student enrollment, including first-year and transfer students, increased by 7.6%.

Enrollment in IU online programs also increased by 10%, with credit hours increasing by 14.4%.

Enrollment at IU Bloomington officially hit the highest-overall count in university history with 48,424 total students enrolled, including 38,093 undergraduates and 10,331 graduate students. 

“I do want to acknowledge here that it's a great problem to have, but it's still a problem in that our infrastructure is packed,” IU Bloomington Provost Rahul Shrivastav said. “So as we move forward, I'm hoping we can grow differently, in a more controlled way.”

At IU Indianapolis, 22,534 total students are enrolled, with 14,504 undergraduates and 8,030 graduate students. 

Board approves renovations

The second day of sessions began at 9 a.m. on Sept. 13, with campuses seeking approval for funding towards infrastructure improvements and new buildings, both underneath the 2025-2027 Legislative Appropriations Request and the Ten-Year Capital Project Plan. Priorities underneath the 2025-2027 request were listed as the following:

• Science Learning Initiative Phase II, including biology renovation and utility upgrades, at IU Bloomington for $96 million
  • Science Learning Initiative Phase III for a Science Learning Center at IU Bloomington for $80 million
  • Central Academic Campus Infrastructure Renovation Phase I at IU Indianapolis for $89 million
  • Science Lab Addition Phase III at IU Indianapolis for $65 million
  • Health Sciences Building at IU Fort Wayne for $75 million
  • Regional Campuses Renovation Projects for $25 million

At IU Bloomington, Phase II will center around renovations to the biology building. The 332,000-square-foot building was opened in 1956 and expanded in 1984, meaning that renovations will mainly focus on updating the building’s infrastructure. Phase III will see the construction of a 100,000-square-foot building with science instructional space, including classrooms and laboratory spaces. 

At IU Indianapolis, Phase I of the Central Academic Campus Infrastructure focuses on the collective buildings that house the Kelley School of Business, the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs, the School of Education, and the School of Social Work. Classroom renovations have happened gradually over time, but internal infrastructure changes are now needed.

A new science lab will also be part of the IU Indianapolis expansion with the addition of an 80,000-square-foot building. The building will be located next to an already existing building on New York Street and will be connected to the other existing science buildings. The board also approved architectural designs for a new athletics center at IU Indianapolis.

As IU Fort Wayne has been leasing space from Purdue Fort Wayne, a new 125,000-square-foot health sciences building will replace space that will no longer be available after a lease with Purdue ends in 2027. 

Renovation projects at regional campuses focus on updating existing classroom and lab spaces. The request was split equally, with $5 million being allocated to each regional campus’s specific needs. 

Faculty express concern over SEA 202

Both the University Faculty Council and the Board of Trustees addressed Senate Enrolled Act 202, which was signed into law March 13. The act, “establishes various requirements and restrictions for institutions regarding free inquiry, free expression, and intellectual diversity.”

Faculty leaders, including University Faculty Council co-chair Philip Goff, expressed their concerns to the board related to SEA 202. 

“Faculty are increasingly concerned about the direction of public education in the state. SEA 202 threatens to throw a wet blanket over the exciting classroom discussions you remember in your days on campus,” Goff said.  

The board sought approval on multiple changes due to SEA 202. The board approved modifications to the requirements of diversity committees and a policy on “institutional neutrality.” The policy distinguishes between the university’s official position and the individual viewpoints of students, faculty, staff and alumni.  

Trustees disagree on Whitten’s salary

The board’s final motion for approval related to IU President Pamela Whitten’s salary. According to internal salary listings, each year, Whitten is eligible to receive up to 25% of her base salary, which is currently $702,000. Her salary was $650,000 last year.

“As a committee, we are responsible for ensuring that the compensation and benefits paid by the university to the president are fair and reasonable, befitting of the institution’s philosophy and budget, and in line with our university peers,” Trustee Cathy Langham said. Langham proposed that Whitten receive the full 25%, or $175,500.

Trustee Kyle Seibert proposed that the board consider feedback from students, faculty and staff when evaluating Whitten’s performance in the future. Trustee Donna Spears expressed that although she supports Whitten and her capabilities as president, she did not agree with the size of the bonus. Spears and Trustee Vivian Winston opposed the motion, which was ruled 6-2. Trustee Isaac Torres was absent from the meeting.

Ashley Wilson is a senior at IU Indianapolis and currently serves as the Culture Editor for The Campus Citizen. Her email is aswils@iu.edu.