Tuesday, Sept. 17

campus administration

How does IU’s new expressive activity policy compare to other Big Ten universities?

caaaupexpressiveactivity072424.jpg

Over a month has passed since IU’s new expressive activity policy took effect Aug. 1, the day before the university cleared the pro-Palestinian encampment in Dunn Meadow and placed a fence around the meadow for repairs. 

The new policy, approved by the IU Board of Trustees with a 6-3 vote in July, limits expressive activity from the hours of 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., requires approval for temporary structures at least 10 days in advance, and prohibits camping and impeding vehicle and pedestrian traffic. 

The policy was met with backlash, particularly by the ACLU of Indiana, which filed a lawsuit against the university on Aug. 29 on behalf of 10 IU faculty, students, staff and a Bloomington resident. 

Attendees have held vigils in recent weeks after 11 p.m. in an effort to intentionally violate the new policy. 

The new policy change comes more than three months after Indiana State Police, in coordination with the IU Police Department, arrested 57 protesters in Dunn Meadow on April 25 and 27 for violating the university’s policy on temporary structures. Many protesters were charged with criminal trespass for putting up temporary structures, including tents, without prior approval. An ad hoc committee, which consisted of four administrators, created the policy one day before the start of the encampment. 

The Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office later droppedall criminal trespass charges.  

Other Big Ten universities faced challenges in responding to pro-Palestinian protests and encampments. 

University of Wisconsin-Madison 

The University of Wisconsin-Madison updated and renamed its existing policy Aug. 28. 

The university also released an expressive activity guide, and incoming freshman and transfer students are now required to complete a free expression module, according to the Badger-Herald. 

UW Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin wrote in a press release that exchanging ideas is central to the university. 

“That is a key part of what a great university does, or should be doing, every day, and it is what we mean, here at UW–Madison, when we talk about fearless sifting and winnowing,” she wrote. “That means that we will often engage with ideas and perspectives that may be new to us, and that might, in some cases, cause us unease or discomfort. My hope is that, as a Badger community, we approach our differences with open minds, a willingness to listen, respect for one another, and a generosity of spirit.” 

The updates to the policy prohibit expressive activity within 25 feet of university entrances, restrict sound amplification, limit size of signage in buildings and restrict activity at campus areas typically used for photos. 

The Daily Cardinal reported that, under the new policy, the university’s Abraham Lincoln statue cannot be blocked the week before the fall semester and week of commencement each semester. 

Pro-Palestinian protesters organized a 12-day encampment at UW-Madison from April 29 to May 10. Police cleared the encampment May 1 and arrested 36 people. 

The university reached an agreement with the protesters May 10 to end the encampment. The university agreed to discuss its disclosure and investment with the UW Foundation, UW-Madison’s fundraising and gift-receiving organization. 

University of Michigan 

The University of Michigan proposed a new disruptive activity policy after a pro-Palestinian protest interrupted the university’s honors convocation in March. 

According to the Michigan Daily, around 100 protesters entered the auditorium during UM President Santa Ono’s convocation speech. Ono, along with the convocation’s attendees, left the auditorium. 

Protesters also gathered outside the auditorium, holding signs and shouting chants. 

“The protesters’ intrusion on one of the university’s most important academic traditions was unacceptable,” Ono wrote in a statement March 26. “It was not in keeping with our student code and our longstanding policy on freedom of speech and artistic expression.” 

Ono also wrote about the next steps for the university. 

“Tomorrow, we will begin seeking feedback from the university community on a draft policy governing disruption of university operations, including academic and social activities, events, gatherings and celebrations,” he wrote. 

The university released a draft of the policy March 27. The draft would not allow students, staff, faculty and campus visitors to interfere with the university’s operations, such as classes, performances or proceedings.  

It also would not allow anyone without legal authority to prevent or impede movement around campus. This includes pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle traffic. 

UM allowed students, faculty and staff to submit feedback on the draft. 

The university wrote on April 18 it was reviewing feedback from the survey, and the policy draft was not in effect. 

“Any future changes will involve a collaborative process with students, faculty and staff,” the statement read. “We will share an update in the coming months and, in the meantime, our long-standing policies will continue to be enforced.” 

Pro-Palestinian students under the "Shut It Down” party won control of the university’s Central Student Government in March, according to the Michigan Daily. 

The CSG then passed the “Defund, Disclose, Divest” act in April, which called for the university to defund the UM Police Department and replace it with a “non-violent, non-police response team,” disclose all investments and divest from companies in which protesters accuse of profiting from the war in Gaza. 

CSG also withheld funding for student groups and activities until its demands are met. The university has not responded to CSG, which last met Aug. 14. 

Northwestern University 

Northwestern University enacted an interim addendum to its demonstration policy in April, the Daily Northwestern reported. 

“The goal of this addendum is to balance the right to peacefully demonstrate with our goal to protect our community, to avoid disruptions to instruction and to ensure University operations can continue unabated,” President Michael Schill wrote in an email to the Northwestern community. “The addendum makes temporary changes to how protestors can engage on our Evanston campus, including at The Rock; and the rules governing chalkings, tents and other provisions.” 

The addendum came after a group of pro-Palestinian protesters set up an encampment at Northwestern on April 25. The encampment lasted until April 29, when the group reached an agreement with the university. 

In the agreement, Northwestern promised additional support for Muslim, Middle Eastern, North African and Palestinian students and faculty. The university also promised it would be transparent with the university’s investments. Protesters agreed to take down all but one tent — the medical tent — and clear any non-Northwestern-affiliated protesters inside the encampment. 

Protesters continued to demonstrate until June 1, which was also a part of the agreement, according to the Northwestern Daily. 

Northwestern will update its policies once the university’s fall semester begins Sept. 24, according to Evanston Now. 

Purdue University 

Purdue University adopted a statement of commitment to freedom of expression in 2015. According to the Purdue Exponent, the university placed stickers around campus with a QR code to the statement before the fall semester began Aug. 19. 

Purdue spokesperson Trevor Peters told the Purdue Exponent the stickers allow the community to read the policy for themselves. 

The university also issued an interim freedom of expression standard in July. 

“Purdue University is committed to free and open inquiry as protected by the First Amendment and university policy,” the statement reads. “While there are narrow exceptions to the general principle of freedom of expression, fostering the ability of university members to engage in vigorous debate and deliberation in an effective and responsible manner is an essential part of the university’s educational mission.” 

Pro-Palestinian protesters established an encampment on Purdue’s campus for 12 days. The university told four students in the encampment they violated Purdue’s Code of Student Conduct and would face disciplinary action, according to the Purdue Exponent. 

The encampment notably encountered no police, and protesters tore down the encampment May 6 and marched to the West Lafayette City Council meeting, according to the Purdue Exponent. 

Protesters said the decision came from fear of administration retaliation, safety concerns and the city council meeting. 

UCLA 

The University of California President Michael Drake told the system’s 10 chancellors, including UCLA Interim Chancellor Darnell Hunt, to clarify and reinforce expressive activity policies in a letter Aug. 19. 

“Clear communication and consistent application of policies and laws are key to achieving the delicate but essential balance between free speech rights and the need to protect the safety of our community and maintain critical University operations,” he wrote in the letter. 

Drake wrote the policies should include prohibiting camping or encampments, unauthorized structures, restrictions on free movement and wearing a mask to hide identity. 

He also wrote the system should consistently implement the policies, offer guidance for campus climate resources and launch an initiative to develop campus climate action plans for all UC campuses. 

“Our ultimate goal is for all of our community members to feel supported in their ability to express themselves, and to pursue their studies, research, patient care, and other work on our campuses,” he wrote. “We also want our community members to understand what’s expected of them, including a clear understanding of the principles, policies, and laws that govern our behavior on campus.” 

A Pro-Palestinian encampment at UCLA started April 25, which the university declared illegal and against university policy.  

From April 30 to May 1, counter-protesters attacked the encampment, and police arrested more than 200 people and cleared the encampment, according to the Daily Bruin. 

The Daily Bruin also reported pro-Palestinian protesters occupied Dodd Hall on UCLA’s campus for several hours on May 23 before police officers cleared the building. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, UCLA spent $10 million on safety and security and another $400,000 for building repairs during the protests. 

CORRECTION: This story has been updated to reflect the date the encampment was cleared.