Friday, Sept. 20

campus crime & courts

Crime reports made from Greek houses; one IU student arrested

Crime Filler

Editor's Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence or assault. Resources are available below.  

Separate reports of rape and intimidation at two campus fraternity houses were made to the IU Police Department Sept. 13-15. 

IU student, Noah Apgar, was arrested Tuesday and charged with rape, strangulation and confinement. Apgar cannot be on IU property without prior authorization from the university, IUPD Public Information Officer Hannah Skibba said. 

According to Skibba, Apgar was the suspect of a reported rape that occurred Sept. 13, inside Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house. The report was sent in a crime notice to students. Two days later, he was the suspect of another rape reported by a different student that occurred Sept. 6, at an unnamed Greek house on North Eagleson Avenue. 

Apgar was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon before being suspended. It is unknown if he is still a member of the fraternity. 

A report of intimidation came from Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house on North David Baker Avenue on Sept. 15. A student attending the party at the house told officers they heard an unknown male threaten to “shoot up the party,” Skibba said. 

The student did not see a weapon and left the party soon after the threat was made. IUPD officers made an extra parole of the house, but did not find the suspect. IUPD confirmed shots were not fired during this incident.  

Resources 

Sexual assault on an IU campus can be reported through this online form.    

IU’s Confidential Victim Advocates are trained to work with students who have experienced sexual misconduct. They can be contacted by calling 812-856-2469 or emailing cva@indiana.edu. The Office for Sexual Violence Prevention and Victim Advocacy is on the third floor of the Student Health Center at 600 N. Eagleson Ave.    

The IU Sexual Assault Crisis Service operates 24/7 connecting students with counselors. They can be reached at 812-855-8900. Their office is on the fourth floor of the Student Health Center at 600 N. Eagleson Ave.