Monday, Sept. 30

campus student govt

IUSG general election open through Sunday

caiusgelectioncongress093024.png

Students can now vote in the IU Student Government general election for residential Congress representatives and to fill spots in academic congressional seats. 

To vote, students can log into BeINvolved. Voting closes Sunday at 10 p.m. 

There are 20 residential seats up for election this year, representing students living in on-campus apartments; the Central, Northwest and Southeast neighborhoods; Greek and community housing; and off-campus housing. Those elected for these seats will serve until the 2025 fall election.  

There are also several vacancies in academic congressional seats, including the College of Arts and Sciences; Kelley School of Business; Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering; Schools of Nursing, Public Health, & Social Work; University Division and Graduate and Professional Education. Those elected to these academic seat vacancies will serve the remainder of the seat’s current term, which ends April 1, 2025. 

Representatives vote in Congress, which is the legislative branch of IUSG. Together, the members of Congress represent over 48,000 students at IU Bloomington and work to improve the student experience.  Congress sets IUSG policy, allocates the annual budget and directs programs and initiatives of the organization.  

“Individual Representatives are responsible for being their constituents' voice in student government and advocating on behalf of their constituents with other IUSG officeholders, IU administration, and government,” according to the IUSG website.  

Representatives are also assigned to committees, which include Equity & Justice, Student Life, Oversight & Finance, and Student Rights & Concerns. 

Congressional meetings are held every Monday night and are open to the public. The first meeting of the new Congress will be Oct. 14.