Tuesday, Sept. 17

IU to investigate allegations of inappropriate behavior from Hall of Fame doctor

bombaiuathletics.jpg

Editor's Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence or assault.   

Indiana University is investigating allegations of inappropriate behavior against IU Athletics Hall of Fame member and former team physician Brad Bomba Sr., announced in a press release Wednesday. 

The allegations were made by a former Indiana men’s basketball student-athlete who competed “several decades ago,” according to the release. IU was notified recently in a letter from legal counsel representing the undisclosed student-athlete. 

“The former student-athlete alleges he was subjected to inappropriate prostate and rectal exams during annual physicals with Dr. Bomba Sr., something that he also alleges was a practice for all basketball student-athletes assigned to Dr. Bomba, Sr. for physical examinations,” the release said. 

Bomba played football at Indiana from 1954-56 before becoming a contracted physician for IU’s sports teams from 1962-1970. In 1979, Bomba was hired as Indiana’s men’s basketball physician, a role he held through the late 1990s. He was inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1994. 

Bomba also served as a team physician for Bloomington High School South according to the Monroe County Sports Hall of Fame and was the physician for the USA Olympic Men’s Basketball Team in 1984. 

Upon receiving the allegations, Indiana retained Jones Day, an international law firm with a track record of handling similar investigations, to do an independent review. 

According to the release, Jones Day’s review will include witness interviews, reviews of available documentation and discussions with medical experts to determine the following: 

1. The background facts related to the annual physicals of IU student athletes conducted by Dr. Bomba Sr. 

2. If the conduct was appropriate, necessary, or within the standard of care. 

3. What medical professionals and athletic department or university officials were aware of the conduct and, if warranted, what action did they take. 

“To be clear, this is a fully independent and comprehensive investigation that will follow the facts,” the release said. “Indiana University will abide by its findings and take any warranted actions. To protect the integrity of the investigation, the institution will refrain from further comment while the review is ongoing.” 

Have a tip? Email us at sports@idsnews.com.