Monday, Sept. 16

Indiana men’s basketball’s Oumar Ballo earns several preseason honors

spiubbballo090524.jpeg

Indiana men’s basketball sixth-year senior center Oumar Ballo’s list of preseason accolades is quickly nearing as large as his 7-foot, 260-pound frame. 

Blue Ribbon Yearbook, one of college basketball’s premier postseason publications, tabbed Ballo as the Preseason Big Ten Newcomer of the Year, a Preseason All-Big Ten selection and a fourth-team Preseason All-American. 

Ballo was a two-time first-team All-PAC-12 selection at the University of Arizona, including last season, before he transferred to Indiana in April. Ballo, who played at Gonzaga University his first two years, spent the last three seasons at Arizona, averaging 11.2 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game. 

Indiana head coach Mike Woodson believes Ballo will nicely complement junior forward Malik Reneau, an All-Big Ten honorable mention last season, and brings a track record of winning to Bloomington. 

“He’s an older guy that’s serious about winning,” Woodson said May 29 at Huber’s Winery in Borden, Indiana. “That was the whole thing that attracted me to him, and that’s why he’s wearing an Indiana uniform — because I think he can help us with his leadership get to where I want to go, and that’s winning a Big Ten title and a national title.” 

Indiana begins the 2024-25 season with an exhibition game against the University of Tennessee on Oct. 27 at the Thompson-Boling Arena at Food City Center in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Hoosiers’ first regular season game is against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville on Nov. 6 inside Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.