Monday, Sept. 30

campus campus student life student life

IU events to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month this October

calgbtqculture093024.jpg

Indiana University’s LGBTQ+ Culture Center will be hosting several on-campus events to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month throughout October. 

LGBTQ+ History Month became nationally recognized in 2009 after being founded in 1994 by Rodney Wilson, a high school teacher from Missouri who wanted to promote LGBTQ+ history among teachers and community members. 

October was recognized as LGBTQ+ History Month because of its alignment with the public school year, Coming Out Day – which takes place annually Oct. 11 – and the first Washington, D.C. march for gay rights, which occurred Oct. 14, 1979.  

Queer Comedy Night

The center will kick off LGBTQ+ History Month with one of its recurring events, Queer Comedy Night. The October edition of this event will focus on queer comedians who helped pave the way for queer comedy throughout history. Attendees are encouraged to come watch or even sign up to participate in a short five-minute stand-up set themselves by emailing krmlucas@iu.edu. Queer Comedy Night will take place from 7 to 8:30 p.m., Oct. 1, in Cook Center at Maxwell Hall.

Speaking of Excellence: A Conversation with Byron Perkins

In collaboration with the “Speaking of Excellence” series organized by the Union Board, the LGBTQ+ Cultural Center is hosting a fireside chat with Queer Student Union President Nalini Krishnan and former Hampton University football player Byron Perkins as a guest. Perkins was the first openly gay football player in all historically Black colleges and universities. He is outspoken about using his platform to inspire others to create positivity and growth for the LGBTQ+ community. The event will occur from 7 to 8:30 p.m., Oct. 7, in Room 013 at Ballantine Hall. 

Speaking of Excellence with Jesse Tyler Ferguson

In its second speaker event for LGBTQ+ History Month, the center is collaborating with the Union Board Lectures to continue its “Speaking of Excellence” series. This lecture will feature Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Tony Award-winning actor known for his performance on the Emmy Award-winning show “Modern Family.” Ferguson and his husband are the co-founders of Pronoun, a company focused on advocating for LGBTQ+ civil rights by selling fashion and design merchandise supporting various LGBTQ+ organizations. This event will take place 7 p.m., Oct. 15, in the IU Auditorium. Students can reserve seats for free through the IU Auditorium website. Staff and faculty can purchase tickets for $15, and the public can purchase tickets for $25. 

Grand Re-opening of the LGBTQ+ Cultural Center

The LGBTQ+ Center has been under renovation since the start of its “Re-Envisioning Project” to transform it into a more student-centered space. From 5 to 6:30 p.m., Oct. 17, the center will have its official grand re-opening. Students can enjoy snacks and refreshments as they explore the new layout and interior design of the center. 

Annual Halloween Party

The LGBTQ+ Culture Center will conclude its LGBTQ+ History Month celebrations with its Annual Halloween Party 5 to 7 p.m., Oct. 31, at the LGBTQ+ Culture Center. This event is a gathering for LGBTQ+ people and allies to celebrate the community.