Tuesday, Oct. 22

campus administration

IU opens applications for faculty fellow position

cafacultyfellow090124.jpg

IU opened applications for a faculty fellow to serve in President Pamela Whitten’s office, according to a release Thursday. 

The fellow will serve for two years beginning this fall. Applications are due Sept. 25 to iupres@iu.edu and should include the name of the faculty member, campus location, a resume and letter of interest. 

“Here at IU, we are dedicated to fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment that supports the success of our faculty,” Whitten wrote in the release. “I look forward to the role this Faculty Fellow will play in creating an environment where faculty can continue to thrive and contribute to the university’s mission.” 

According to the release, the fellow will serve as a liaison, facilitating communication and collaboration between faculty and senior leaders and providing leadership for university projects — including IU’s 2030 strategic plan. The fellow will also participate in senior leadership meetings and consulting with Whitten. The fellow will work closely with the University Faculty Council, a body of elected members who represent university faculty. 

The position allows the faculty member “to increase their understanding of university-wide initiatives, strategic planning and leadership roles, while contributing to the advancement of the university,” according to the release. 

The position will be part-time beginning in the fall to design the role and set up the office. It will become full-time in January 2025 but will be flexible and allow the faculty member to teach or research. 

The faculty member’s home department will receive funding to buy out the member’s salary as faculty fellow. 

The IU Board of Trustees approved Whitten’s request to create the position in June, along with reinstating the IU-Bloomington chancellor position. 

Whitten wrote in an email June 14 to the IU community the faculty fellow will help her, her cabinet and faculty leaders “ensure the principles of shared governance are embraced and maintained.”