Thursday, Sept. 19

sports field hockey

Indiana field hockey suffers narrow defeat to Miami University

IMG_5027.JPG

As all of Indiana field hockey’s home games do, the match began with the blaring trumpets of "Narcos" by Timmy Trumpet, firing up the crowd, getting everyone excited. As each team huddled before the start, the energy and anticipation slowly built. However, the enthusiasm was met with a disappointing end, as Indiana lost 1-0 to Miami University on Wednesday afternoon.

The first quarter was exciting but added little to the box score, as both teams played stellar defense and minimized offensive opportunities. With just a minute remaining, the Hoosiers found a breakthrough. A run down the field led to Indiana’s first corner, but the opportunity fell short, sending the game into the second quarter.

The first half was a quiet one, wrapping up scoreless. Both teams made convincing offensive surges, but the defenses held strong, preventing each team from scoring.

Miami threatened the Hoosiers early, but freshman goalkeeper Sadie Canelli made a pair of remarkable saves to keep the score tied at 0-0. In her first career start, Canelli was a standout, playing a key role in Indiana’s defensive success.

The second half began with the game's only goal. Miami capitalized on a penalty corner, with graduate student striker Claudia Negrete Garcia finishing the play by firing a shot into the back corner of Indiana’s net.

With just three minutes remaining in the third quarter, the nervous energy in the stands began to rise. Down late and pressing for a response, Indiana strung together a few passes to push into the Red Hawks' penalty circle. Despite a scoring drought throughout the game, the Hoosiers fought vigorously, earning their second penalty corner and igniting the crowd. As tension mounted, the stands erupted with the rhythmic drum beats, as cheers and shouts poured out.

Senior midfielder Meredith Lee's pass darted to standout sophomore midfielder Inés Garcia Prado, who unleashed a scorching shot on goal. The attempt was narrowly saved by Miami’s junior goalkeeper, Nicky Sjouken, as the third quarter came to a close.

Entering the final quarter trailing by a score, there was a clear change in pace in the Hoosiers’ game plan. Indiana's offense pressed relentlessly on the goal, ripping off a few chances at the keeper, none hitting home for the score.

As the clock ticked down, nervous murmurs spread through the crowd. Phrases like, "I can’t take this anymore," "C’mon, girls!" and "Let’s go, Yip, you’ve got this!" began to mix with the louder cheers in the stands. With everyone on their feet, the tension for Indiana was palpable.

With only five minutes left, Indiana mounted a strong offensive drive, firing off four shots in quick succession, but it couldn't find the back of the net. 

With only seconds showing on the scoreboard, the stands came to a hushed silence. Their hearts weighing heavy in their stomachs, the fans couldn’t bear to mutter a peep. The silence was so clear that attendees could hear the broadcaster's voice creeping from the press box. 

“Twenty, 19, 18…” he said, as he counted down the game's final seconds.

A scuffle for possession took place by the net. With each passing seconds the fans awaited the inevitable horn signaling the game’s end. The silence, now so loud, was abruptly interrupted by a chirp from the referee's whistle, instantly followed by the moans and groans of the Indiana crowd. The game was over.

Indiana’s hard-fought contest ended as its third consecutive loss since the opening-day victory against Kent State University on Aug. 30.  

The Hoosiers look to break their losing streak and secure their first home victory as they face Ball State at 3 p.m. on Friday at Deborah Tobias Field in Bloomington.