Saturday, Sept. 21

Indiana football holds Charlotte scoreless in second half, looks to “stay hungry” entering Big Ten play

spiufbsidebar092124.jpeg

Through three games, Indiana football allowed its opponents to combine for just 23 points. After nearly 25 minutes of play Saturday, the Hoosiers already allowed the University of North Carolina at Charlotte to score 14 points. 

While the first two games of the season were against Florida International University and Western Illinois University, UCLA was supposed to be Indiana’s first somewhat real test. 

The Hoosiers practically aced it and gave up just 13 points. 

So, when the 49ers had 14 points on the scoreboard in the first half, what were they doing differently that Indiana wasn’t responding to? 

The Hoosiers’ defense saw they haven’t seen yet this season: motioning and shifting. 

“They had us on our heels, our defense, with some shifting, motioning, running the ball right at us, I know defensive coaches aren't particularly pleased,” Indiana head coach Curt Cignetti said postgame. 

With the 49ers racking up 177 yards in the first half compared to UCLA accumulating just 120 at the same point last week, Indiana’s defense had to make the necessary adjustments for the second half. 

Senior defensive back Shawn Asbury II said the Hoosiers needed to “communicate fast” when an offense is shifting and motioning the way Charlotte was. He said they improved their communication in the second half, and the results followed. 

They pitched a second-half shutout –– something they’ve done to all their opponents except UCLA 

With sophomore defensive back D’Angelo Ponds serving a first-half suspension after he was ejected for targeting against UCLA, redshirt sophomore defensive back Jamari Sharpe stepped in. 

Sharpe totaled five tackles and four pass break ups.  

“We knew that out of Sharpe already, I mean he does that a lot in practice,” Asbury II said. “It’s kind of like the next mentality. So we all trusted him, believed in him, knew he was gonna make plays, so he was able to go out there and do it today.” 

Cignetti felt similarly, stating he was “glad to see him have some success.” 

While the Hoosiers are rather deep at positions like wide receiver and running back, they aren’t so much on the back end of the defense. Cignetti said it throughout the offseason, and he continued to say it Saturday. 

“(We’re) not quite as deep at Jamari's position,” Cignetti said. “...There were a lot of guys on the team last year who have bought in. We have great unity and character on this football team.” 

Mix the defense’s success in the second half, allowing just 79 yards, with the offense’s firepower and it resulted in yet another blowout victory. 

While the Hoosiers have now outscored their opponents 202-37, the real test begins next week. Although they’ve started 4-0 and won their only Big Ten matchup so far, complacency “is going to hurt” the Hoosiers, according to sixth-year senior quarterback Kurtis Rourke. 

Cignetti said he wages a tenacious battle against complacency when he first arrived at Indiana. The Hoosiers can either be satisfied or continue to strive for success. 

“I think the whole key right now is maintaining our focus,” Cignetti said. “We can’t have any distractions, and we got to stay focused, humble and hungry.” 

The Hoosiers will only face Big Ten opponents throughout the rest of the season, beginning with Maryland on Sept. 28. 

Despite the quality of their opposition significantly rising in the Big Ten, Rourke thinks the Hoosiers have to continue what they’ve done in preparation for the first four games. 

“Just really coming out every day to practice and not caring about who we’re going against and really just work on improving,” Rourke said. “We have a tougher schedule probably coming up now, but we still got to come out, prepare the same way we have been, and just prepare for a different defense, different look kind of thing.” 

Over the past three seasons, Indiana went a combined 3-24 in conference play. The last time it started its season 4-0 was also the last time it finished the season with a winning record in conference play and overall. 

While it seems likely the Hoosiers will finish the season at least with a winning record, the ultimate result of conference play is unpredictable. 

After passing their first four tests and holding an unblemished record, the next test is set for next week. 

Indiana (4-0) welcomes Maryland (3-1) to Bloomington on Sept. 28. Kickoff is slated for noon inside Memorial Stadium. 

“We got to be able to lock in from when we start practicing again on Monday all the way until game time next week,” Rourke said. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.