Monday, Sept. 16

Indiana football injury report: WR Donaven McCulley out vs. Western Illinois

20240831-football0015.jpg

When Indiana football takes the field against Western Illinois University at 7 p.m. Friday in Memorial Stadium, the Hoosiers will do so without senior receiver Donaven McCulley. 

On the pregame availability report, Indiana listed McCulley, fifth-year senior receiver E.J. Williams, freshman defensive back Jah Jah Boyd and freshman tight end Brody Kosin as inactive against the Leathernecks. 

Redshirt junior defensive back JoJo Johnson, who didn’t play in the Aug. 31 season opener against Florida International University due to an undisclosed injury, is questionable to play Friday. 

Williams and Kosin were each out against Florida International with undisclosed injuries. Boyd, who was out for a handful of practices in fall camp, was healthy against the Golden Panthers but won’t play Friday. 

McCulley left the Hoosiers’ 31-7 victory over Florida International in the second quarter. He caught his lone pass of the game, a nine-yard grab from sixth-year senior quarterback Kurtis Rourke but was slow to get up after a hit to his upper body. He awkwardly stood up and walked with assistance to Indiana’s locker room. 

Indiana head coach Curt Cignetti said Monday that McCulley was “day to day,” but with the Hoosiers listed as 43.5-point favorites, they’re ultimately not hurrying back their standout pass catcher. 

McCulley led Indiana in receiving last year, catching 48 passes for 644 yards and six touchdowns. 

Prior to the win over Florida International, the Hoosiers announced four players — freshman defensive back Josh Philostin, redshirt freshman Andrew Depaepe, redshirt junior offensive lineman Vincent Fiacable and seventh-year senior Nick Kidwell — will be out for the season due to various injuries. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.