Sunday, Sept. 15

Indiana football expects injured receiver Donaven McCulley back ‘soon’

spiufbmcculleybrief090224.jpg

The first game of Indiana football receiver Donaven McCulley’s senior season ended prematurely due to injury, but the ailment won’t linger moving forward. 

McCulley, who left the Hoosiers’ season-opening victory over Florida International University on Aug. 31 after being hit awkwardly in the upper body, is officially listed as day-to-day, according to Indiana head coach Curt Cignetti. 

“I think we'll have him back soon,” Cignetti said Monday in the Hoosiers’ team room. 

The 6-foot-5, 203-pound McCulley was Indiana’s leading receiver in 2023, finishing with 48 receptions for 644 yards and six touchdowns. He earned a nod as an All-Big Ten honorable mention. 

McCulley, a native of Indianapolis who attended Lawrence North High School, did not start in the Hoosiers’ opener. He caught one pass for nine yards — and was injured on the tackle. 

After being hit, McCulley slowly stood up and stumbled toward the sideline, where a trainer guided him to the Hoosiers’ locker room. He did not return to the game, and Cignetti said afterward McCulley wasn’t cleared to play. 

McCulley aside, six other Hoosiers caught passes Saturday. Fifth-year senior receiver Myles Price had a team-high four grabs, while redshirt sophomore wideout Omar Cooper Jr.’s 45 receiving yards led all pass catchers. Senior tight end Zach Horton was on the receiving end of sixth-year senior quarterback Kurtis Rourke’s lone touchdown pass. 

Indiana’s diverse group of weapons helped overcome McCulley’s absence against the Golden Panthers, but the Hoosiers would prefer to have their big-bodied standout back on the field sooner rather than later. 

“I don't get frustrated when a guy gets hurt because it's next man up,” Cignetti said Monday. “I don't have time to think about that. We got him in there, and he was playing fast, doing a nice job, and took a hit and was ruled out. He'll be anxious to get back, and I'll be anxious to get him back.” 

Indiana (1-0) hosts Western Illinois University (0-1) at 7 p.m. Friday inside Memorial Stadium. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.