Thursday, Sept. 19

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer returns home for match against Evansville

spiumspreview091624.jpg

Indiana men’s soccer head coach Todd Yeagley wasn’t worried about any big picture concerns when his squad suffered a 2-0 defeat to the University of Dayton on Sept. 9.  

His beliefs were somewhat validated when the Hoosiers triumphed 1-0 on the road against Rutgers on Friday, marking the first time since the 2020-21 season that Indiana has won its first game of the Big Ten regular season.  

However, before the Hoosiers can build on their success in the Big Ten, they host a familiar opponent in the University of Evansville. The match provides opportunities for both teams — Indiana will attempt to build on its positive performance Friday and Evansville will aim to make history. 

Lopsided history 

Indiana has faced Evansville every year since 2007 except the 2016 season, and domination is an apt description for this matchup. 

In the second most-played non-conference matchup in Indiana history, the Hoosiers have lost only four times in the 41 matches between the two sides, the last coming in 1990. 

But in recent years, the Purple Aces have provided a tougher matchup for Indiana. The last three games favor the Hoosiers 5-1 on aggregate, but 2022 featured a 1-1 draw, the first year Evansville have secured better than a loss since 1995. 

A win for both teams is critical, as Indiana would achieve back-to-back victories for the first time this season. Conversely, Evansville would snap a three-game losing streak in 2024 and a 24-game winless streak against the Hoosiers. 

A more clinical offense 

Indiana’s offense saw marked improvement from its performances against Dayton to Rutgers. Despite having two fewer shots against the Scarlet Knights, the Hoosiers created far more dangerous opportunities. 

Senior forwards Tommy Mihalic and Sam Sarver each hit the woodwork, and graduate student forward Justin Weiss nearly converted a close-range shot, forcing a crucial save from Rutgers junior goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton.  

Indiana finally converted with the 87th minute winner from Mihalic, silencing any questions about the clinical nature of its attackers for at least another game.  

It’s noticeable the Hoosiers only have six goals in six games, but if history means anything, they shouldn’t worry. Last season’s squad, co-Big Ten regular season and Big Ten Tournament champs, had five goals through the same number of matches. 

Meet the Purple Aces 

Evansville had a quick start to the season, earning a 4-0 record with eight goals scored and two conceded. But the following three matches resulted in three defeats, including a 4-1 loss to Butler University. 

Senior forward Nacho Diaz Barragon is Evansville’s top performer, accumulating five goals and two assists in seven starts. Behind Barragon is graduate student forward Samuel Owusu, who’s scored two goals and assisted one in only two starts. 

The Purple Aces have yet to be shutout this season, and given the Hoosiers have only attained two clean sheet, goals should be expected. 

Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The match will be available on the Big Ten Network.

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.