Tuesday, Sept. 17

sports men's soccer

Michael Nesci provides ‘bright spot’ in Indiana men’s soccer’s dreary defeat to Dayton

spmenssoccer090924.jpeg

Even after 32 minutes of game action in the second half, Michael Nesci was still running. 

The freshman forward burst past the defenders, chasing a ball heading toward University of Dayton graduate student goalkeeper Dario Caetano. The effort was inconsequential in dispossessing the Flyers, but Nesci’s actions summarized the spark he has provided for Indiana men’s soccer this season. 

“He’s been a bright spot for us,” fifth year senior defender Jansen Miller said postgame. “He gives us some feistiness.” 

Feistiness may have been more of what Indiana needed, as it suffered a 2-0 defeat to Dayton on Monday night. Following a 1-1 draw with Butler University on Sept. 4, the Hoosiers’ opening half against the Flyers appeared to lack substantial change from the sloppy second half of the match against the Bulldogs. 

“I thought we started a little on the back foot,” Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley said postgame. “They’re good. We couldn’t quite get into our flow, we never felt in any type of rhythm even though we were dangerous at times in the first half.” 

The below average first half play extended to Nesci’s performance, Yeagley said. But just as the Hoosiers bounced back in the second frame, so did Nesci. 

It took until the hour mark for Indiana to have its first shot on goal, courtesy of Nesci. A cross from sophomore attacker Collins Oduro found the head of the youngster, but his effort to the bottom left corner of the net was saved by a sprawling Caetano. 

Nesci’s attempt showcased his aerial ability, a positive quality Yeagley praised along with his finishing, passing and cleverness. But he also noted the freshman lacked the service necessary to display those qualities. 

“We gotta get him the ball in some more dangerous spots, too,” Yeagley said. “We just missed some passes again tonight.” 

Since coming on against Saint Louis University, Nesci has been the first attacking option Yeagley has turned to, barring the Yale University match in which he started. He hasn’t disappointed, contributing a goal against the University of Notre Dame and a shot in every contest except his one start. 

Monday’s match was no different. Beyond his shot on target, Nesci provided a constant threat against Dayton’s backline, hounding the defenders every time they received the ball. 

Along with Nesci, freshman Easton Bogard emerged as a possible contributor off the bench. The freshman earned the first appearance of his collegiate career against Dayton, which allowed graduate student forward Justin Weiss to nurse his calf injury back to full strength. 

Another player that has solidified as a consistent weapon off the bench is sophomore forward Clay Murador, who has featured off the bench in every match of the season so far. A year under his belt has increased his speed, toughness and communication, but his “final action” could still use some work, something Yeagley has stressed for most of his attackers this season. 

“A couple crosses I thought he could have been a little better,” Yeagley said. “It’s so close, it’s really close. When he breaks through, it’s gonna be really fun to be part of that.” 

For Nesci, there’s still a lot more to come. Miller acknowledged he’s a freshman that “doesn’t look like it,” and the veteran defender predicts there’s more in store for the 18-year-old. 

“He’s gonna be good for us this year,” Miller said. “I think he’s going to score a lot more goals.”

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.