Thursday, Sept. 26

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer set to face No. 4 Ohio State in crucial Big Ten clash

spiumspreview092624.jpg

Indiana men’s soccer head coach Todd Yeagley said Sept. 17 that a loss to Maryland wouldn’t “change the trajectory of our season.” But after his side’s 1-0 defeat to the Terrapins on Sept. 20, some questions seem to be intensifying. 

Because for the Hoosiers, it’s not going to get easier. 

Entering the crux of league play is typically difficult, but Indiana’s upcoming matches bring next level challenges. The next two opponents are in the top 10 of the United Soccer Coaches National Rankings, and both contests will be without the Hoosier faithful backing Indiana. 

First on the docket is No. 4 Ohio State, coached by former Hoosier midfielder and longtime Indiana assistant coach Brian Maisonneuve. The Buckeyes have yet to lose in 2024, earning seven wins and only one draw in their first match of the season. 

In such a crucial match for the Hoosiers, points against a top side would certainly reinvigorate the squad, while a defeat would only further sink Indiana’s chances of defending its Big Ten title. 

Urgency is setting in 

Yeagley understands the importance of Friday’s match after Indiana’s 1-1 start in the Big Ten. 

“Every game that goes by where we don’t capture some points puts more urgency on the next game,” Yeagley said Tuesday. “We’re working hard at our deficiencies, and we’re doing a lot of really good things." 

The deficiencies Yeagley has spoken at length about are Indiana’s final third play and restarts. The Hoosiers have scored seven goals in eight games, with over half the goals coming against the University of Notre Dame and Yale University in the second and third games of the season, respectively. 

Yeagley mentioned after the Maryland match his team’s effectiveness with long throw-ins and the chances they have created from that restart. However, corners and free kicks still seem to be an issue for Indiana as it has yet to register a goal from either. 

But the head coach also knows his team can’t play with urgency. 

“Urgency is somewhat a tough word to use because then you’re losing composure,” Yeagley said. “We have to play (with) good composure.” 

Justin Weiss contributions 

Entering the year, forward Justin Weiss was Indiana’s marquee transfer portal signing. The graduate student’s seven goals and seven assists in 2023 ranked third and first in the Big Ten, respectively. 

For a squad which lost veteran forwards Maouloune Goumballe and Karsen Henderlong to graduation, a veteran attacker like Weiss seemed the perfect replacement. 

But so far in 2024, Weiss hasn’t managed to record a goal or an assist. A couple clear chances have come his way in the past two matches, and his positive play against Rutgers helped propel Indiana to the victory, but his lack of contributions is discouraging to the veteran. 

“It’s definitely wearing on him,” Yeagley said. “But his work and his mentality has been great. I don’t think that’s changed.” 

With its toughest matches upcoming, Indiana would benefit drastically from any improvements in the attack — and that starts with Weiss. Seeing the ball hit the back of the net would be important for him, Yeagley said, but the coach isn’t ready to overreact just yet. 

“I’m not worried that he can’t get goals for us,” Yeagley said. “It’s just a matter of when and where.” 

Meet the Buckeyes 

Ohio State enters Friday undefeated with a seven-game winning streak. Through their first two Big Ten games, the Buckeyes have an aggregate score of 8-0. 

Scoring goals has been no issue for Ohio State, having bagged 14 in the six games before Big Ten play. 

“Am I surprised? Yes,” Yeagley said about Ohio State’s goalscoring. “But watching the games back, no, I’m not surprised. They’re not getting fortunate breaks; they’re not getting fluky goals. They’re scoring good goals.” 

The Buckeyes have nine different goal scorers in 2024, led by junior midfielder Luciano Pechota and freshman forward David Ajagbe with four goals each. Senior defender Deylen Vellios has a team-high five assists, followed closely by junior midfielder Marko Borkovic and senior midfielder Michael Adedokun with four a piece. 

Yeagley noted the individual talent within the Buckeye attack, and with so many different contributors on the Ohio State roster, Indiana’s defense will certainly be tested. 

Kickoff between the Hoosiers and Buckeyes is slated for 7 p.m. Friday at the Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The match will be televised on Big Ten+. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.