Monday, Sept. 16

campus student govt

IU Student Government Congress applications due Sept. 9

caiusgapp090524.jpg

Students can now take the first step in running for Indiana University Student Government Congress. 

There are 20 vacant residential congressial seats, representing students living in On-Campus Apartments, the Central, Northwest and Southeast neighborhoods, Greek and Community Housing and Off-Campus Housing. Any student who lives in that district may run for office.  

There are also several vacancies in academic congressional seats. These include vacant seats to represent the College of Arts and Sciences, Kelley School of Business, Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering, School of Public Health, University Division and Graduate and Professional Education. 

Students who wish to run must submit a candidate declaration by midnight Sept. 9. Student representatives serve for a full year, beginning in October. Those elected must commit to attending weekly congressional meetings on Monday nights and weekly committee meetings, which have varying meeting times. 

Congressional representatives vote in Congress, which sets official IUSG policy, allocates the annual budget and implements IUSG programs. They are also responsible for being their constituents’ voice in student government and advocating for their interests. 

IUSG represents all students on the IU-Bloomington campus. There are three IUSG branches— the executive branch, Congress and Supreme Court. Students elect a new student body president every spring to lead the executive branch and elections are held each spring and fall for Congress positions. This year’s fall general elections take place from Sept. 30 to Oct. 6. 

There are several other opportunities for students to get involved with IUSG. 

Freshmen and transfer students can join IUSG’s First Year Internship Program. According to the IUSG website, the program “works to prepare students for their future at Indiana University and life after college while providing a platform for students to make change on campus.” Students shadow a current member of the IUSG executive branch, propose a project that will improve IU’s campus and have the chance to take a one credit class to learn about student government. Applications for the First-Year Internship Program are due by midnight Sept.15. 

There are also several openings in the executive cabinet. Open positions include photographer, videographer, graphic designer, undersecretary of state relations and legal counsel. Applications are due by midnight Sept. 13. The application and description of the positions can be found here.