Monday, Sept. 16

sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball aims to take down defending champion Texas in marquee matchup

Marsteller_Volleyball9_2_-15.jpg

After a four-set victory over University of California, Davis on Labor Day, Indiana volleyball has its biggest challenge of the season, going up against two top teams. First up is the No. 1 University of Texas at Austin on Thursday, then the following evening, the Hoosiers face the University of Miami. 

Texas, the reigning national champions, swept then-No. 1 Nebraska in last year’s championship. The Hoosiers are seeking their first-ever victory against a No. 1 team, but the Longhorns won’t make it easy. 

Though Texas is currently No. 1, it holds a 1-1 record after falling to No. 18 Minnesota in five sets Monday. The Longhorns proved it will still be a challenge for the Hoosiers, as they beat No. 3 Wisconsin on Sunday. 

Texas has a phenomenal home record, as it has earned a 211-14 record in home matches over the past 14 seasons. The Longhorns are on a 76-game win streak at home, dating back to 2014. 

Key players for Texas are senior outside hitter Madisen Skinner and sophomore setter Ella Swindle. Skinner is a three-time national champion, and last season, she ranked sixth nationally with 4.80 kills per set and seventh with 547 total kills. 

Swindle did everything for the Longhorns offensively and defensively, averaging 9.54 assists per set and tallying 92 blocks, 227 digs and 96 kills. Swindle was also named to the Big 12 All-Rookie team.  

The Hoosiers’ second and final match in Texas is at 7 p.m., Friday, against the University of Miami. 

Last season, Indiana won a five-set thriller against the Hurricanes in the 305 Challenge in Miami, Florida. Miami ended the season 18-12, reaching the second round of the NCAA tournament before losing to Wisconsin. 

The Hurricanes have an experienced roster with six seniors, five juniors and only four freshmen - two of which are redshirted. Junior outside hitter Flormarie Heredia Colon was an offensive weapon for Miami last season, earning 341 kills and averaging 3.25 kills per set.  

Senior defensive specialist Yaidaliz Rosado is stepping up for the Hurricanes this season, leading Miami on the defensive end with 27 digs and also recording five blocks. On offense, she’s earned 31 kills in just three games. 

Miami may have a slight edge, as Indiana faces Texas the night before while the Hurricanes play their first match against the Hoosiers in Texas on Friday. 

Indiana’s match against Texas begins at 9 p.m., Thursday, and will be available on the SEC network. 

Follow reporter Parker Rodgers (@parrod153) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.